LITTLE PESTS

• 9 Replies

JOnDAVE

• Greens , greens they are good for you heart!
LITTLE PESTS
« on: January 27, 2012, 16:24 »
Hi all, I moved to a new plot a couple of years ago and have noticed a little pest eating my veg getting more and more of a problem. I have tried to identify it and asked other plot holders for advice on getting rid or at least slowing it down.
It's like a little white ragwom with a darker back, 1" longish.  It also curls up into a spiral shape. It had a good go at my potatos last year, I also found a colony of the little pests curled up inside the remains of several runner beans that I had dug up wondering why they hadn't fired. I was digging over last years potato plot to clear any volunteers and they were there bold as brass busy decimating a volunteer. Anyone any ideas what they are or how to hinder them? ???  >:(

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: LITTLE PESTS
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 16:32 »
Did it look like the one in this picture?

(Welcome to the forums, by the way.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

JOnDAVE

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 20:02 »
Thanks, and yes that's the little blighter, I've trawled the Internet looking but couldn't find them. Any suggestions on how to treat them?

It says they go after the moisture in the potatoes when it is dry. We live in Carlisle (about as north as you can get without being Scottish) and it we never have droughts.

Thanks again and appreciate the help

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 23:28 »
It didn't take long to recognise it from your description because they are quite a familiar sight in my garden, although I'm inclined to agree with those who say that they are more of a secondary nuisance than the main cause of a lot of damage.

In other words, I think they like to set up home in holes in potatoes which were previously made by other pests (like slugs or wireworms), and probably invaded your bean seeds because they had failed to germinate due to either slug damage or conditions which were either too wet or cold (or both) for them.

Obviously things like overwintering leftover potatoes provide a shelter and breeding ground for them but I don't think they are anywhere near the top of the list of pests we have to worry about these days!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 23:30 by JayG »

JOnDAVE

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 14:28 »
I think your right about the beans, I'll monitor my potatoes this year see if I can catch anything else having a go on them. It's never ending but we love it
Thanks
Dave

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 18:15 »
When I'm asked "Where do you come from" I reply,   "North of Hadrians Wall, but thankfully, South of the Scottish Border".  :D   Kirklinton.    :lol:   Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 18:18 »
I think your right about the beans, I'll monitor my potatoes this year see if I can catch anything else having a go on them. It's never ending but we love it
Thanks
Dave

If you are concerned, you can put some cut up half supermarket cheapo spuds in the ground about a metre apart, marked with a stick so you can find them again.

Leave them for a couple of weeks and then dig them up. if there are wireworms or millipedes they will be in/by the spuds as there will be nothing else aroun for them to eat. You can scoop them up and feed them to someone's  chooks  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 21:18 »
We live in Carlisle (about as north as you can get without being Scottish)

Hi there! :) Would you care to add your location to your profile, it'll help next time you have a question.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

JOnDAVE

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 13:16 »
Sounds like a plan, ground is solid at the mo I'll try next week , I'll let know how I get on

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 13:25 »
When I'm asked "Where do you come from" I reply,   "North of Hadrians Wall, but thankfully, South of the Scottish Border".  :D   Kirklinton.    :lol:   Cheers,     Tony.

No you don't, you've never said that to us before. Besides, if you or anyone else did, some forum members might find such comments obnoxious.  :closedeyes:

xx
Pests.... is this war?

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 23, 2012, 04:15
by Potiron
xx
Pests

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 15:14
by Yorkie
xx
pests

Started by dawnj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 21:55
by Faz
clip
Pests

Started by rogertb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2014, 13:25
by Dr_Pepper

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 39 queries.