Washing eggs??!

• 9 Replies

looe-looe-belle

• lohmann brown hybrids = eggs! eggs! eggs!! :)
Washing eggs??!
« on: January 22, 2011, 16:33 »
 :)  Hello everyone,

Can anyone advise me the best way to wash dirty eggs? obviously, my hens are cleaned out regularly, but sometimes the eggs are laid and have poo on them...what is the best way to remove this?

All comments are appreciated!

Many thanks for reading my post.
regards Patricia

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Washing eggs??!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 16:36 »
if the pooh is still damp then just wipe it on any grass or straw, otherwise use a bit of damp kitchen roll. However do not wash as this will remove the protective bloom, only wash just before using if you need to  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

sutherland

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 17:40 »
on this subject anyone now if the"incredible egg washer machine" is available in the uk? or do i have to order it from the uk or are there still hand operated egg washers around, i have very limited electrical supply so by hand is best. thanks

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 17:44 »
I do exactly what Joyfull does and use a little damp kitchen roll and that is more than enough, it always comes off easily too.
Alan

sutherland

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 17:50 »
i'm looking to sell them on as i have about three dozen a week at the mo' and the flock is only at half-speed!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 18:01 »
I sell my eggs and never wash the protective bloom off as this will allow bacteria into the egg.

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 18:32 »
Hi Sutherland, Joyful is correct; you shouldn't wash eggs as once the bloom has been removed the eggs become more porus to bacteria.

Commercial farmers cannot sell washed eggs, one of the reasons why battery cages were popular is that the hens do not have access to the eggs, therefore they immediately roll away and cannot be soiled.

If you find your eggs are moderately to heavily soiled you should think about having a "door mat" for your chickens before they enter the coop so the dirt from their feet is removed before they go in to lay.

For lightly soiled eggs, as has already been stated, wipe over with a damp piece of kitchen roll (don't excessively rub) if the soiling is still wet/damp, or wipe over with dry kitchen cloth if the soiling is dry.  I would expect most egg customers would be tolerant of a little soiling though!

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 21:21 »
If it is mud, them make sure that the birds need to walk through clean bedding before they get to the nests, shavings or chopped hemp/rape is good, as it will stick to their feet and help dry them

If some of your hens are pooping on their eggs, I have heard that apparently this is genetic and so hereditary so the answer is to never breed from birds that show this propensity.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 21:31 »
Any heavy dried on deposits can be scrapped off with a knife before you do as Joy suggests.

You shouldn't wash eggs you are selling.  I'm not sure of the legalities but my feeling is this is actually illegal.  You can do as you like for your own consumption but not if you are selling to the public.
HF
Truth through science.

orchardlady

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 22:34 »
I sell at he gate and never wash the eggs but do as Joyful suggests and wipe any poop off on nearby grass. However the eggs we use my family can be a bit fussy so I do wash them in very hot water and then immediately cook/prepare them.

I would love to hear what people use as doormats.

OL

xx
washing eggs

Started by Sarah J on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 09:48
by poultrygeist
xx
washing eggs

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 16:53
by 8doubles
xx
washing eggs

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post January 15, 2008, 19:57
by Aunt Sally
xx
Washing eggs?

Started by beulah59 on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 22, 2009, 21:56
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.268 seconds with 38 queries.