Washing eggs?

• 14 Replies

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
Washing eggs?
« on: October 21, 2009, 19:42 »
Although I clean out the nest box first thing in the morning, some of our eggs are still a little dirty ... mud and poo ... from the hens' feet - they all lay in the same nest box (although there's room for two in there, they still lay on the same side as each other!) and must walk over the eggs that are there first.

I wipe them clean with a damp cloth - is that the right thing to do?
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Washing eggs?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 20:52 »
They always say you shouldn't wash eggs until you are about to use them, as washing can take the 'bloom' off the egg which helps protect the inside becoming contaminated.

I suppose even wiping them could do the same thing.  I don't often gets pooey eggs, but I don't wash them until I am going to use them.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 21:00 »
the only eggs i wash straight from the nest box are those that get broken yolk over them as that gets really yukky an sticky , although i have made my own roll away nest boxes the odd few still manage to get broken before they get to roll away .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 21:30 »
You shouldn't wash or wipe eggs before storing as egg shells are porous and washing can cause the penetration of pathegens.  Keep soiled eggs in the fridge and use them as soon as possible, within 4 days ideally.  I keep all my eggs in the fridge which prevents any bacteria developing rapidly and greatly increases their safe storage time.  I think it's an old wives tale that eggs kept at room temperature taste better or are significantly more nutritious.

To reduce egg soiling from mud provide the pophole entrance with a covered area, a front porch as Auntie describes it with a dry mat of slatted duck boards or a dry litter such as forest mulch.  This helps to keep their feet dry and free from the worst mud,  use a deep, dry, clean litter on the house floor and you will greatly reduce soiling.  A roll away nest box will also help a lot with other hens soiling or breaking eggs.
Regards
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 12:41 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 22:59 »
I say if eggs are for personnel use (your family) then keep them in the fridge.  But if you are going to give away your eggs or sell them then you should not keep them in the fridge as when given away, you can get condensation in the egg blar blar blar. Always tell the person that they should keep the eggs in the friday. Each egg should be maked with the date and also tell the person that the eggs should be consumed within 28days of that date.

No do not wash.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 23:49 »
If you wash eggs always use water hotter than the egg, as this draws bacteria out, where as cold water doesn't.
Someone once told me that you are supposed to wash in the hottest water your hands could stand, but I took no notice of this a I think it will cook the egg ???
I don't wash eggs unless they are really bad, I have even incubated eggs that I have washed and they have been fine.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 10:07 »
Thanks everyone - it's just that OH had a boiled egg the other day that smelled of chicken! It was about a week old and I wondered if it was because it had some poo on it?

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 13:04 »
You are not supposed to give your OH eggs garnished with poo! Save these for the MIL.

I've seen the advice about washing in warmer water too and I guess this is based on the fact that if you immerse in warmer water your will create a pressure difference between the inside of the egg and the outside which will tend to prevent water carrying bacteria from being drawn into the shell.  However I suspect that this could be suspect advice since unless you use a sanitiser solution to kill any external bacteria, and/or dry the egg while still warm there is a good chance that any bacteria in the surface water left after the washing will be drawn into the egg as it cools.  Thus don't allow the egg to dry naturally unless it has been sanitised.  As for using very hot water I've never heard this before and I can only think it is of benefit in killing any bacteria on the shell though it would need to be very hot (over 60C which is more than hand hot) and have to immersed for some time to be effective for killing bacteria.  It would also cause more draw in as it cools and could partially cook the albumen too so I'd be very dubious about doing this.

As an egg is laid it is coated with a film which helps seal and protect it so although it maybe soiled subsequently it's on balance best not to attempt to wash it off, though gently mechanically removing what you can should be OK.
Regards

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 14:54 »
You are not supposed to give your OH eggs garnished with poo! Save these for the MIL.
:tongue2:

nzdunn

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 16:58 »
oh i didnt know that about washing eggs, i only quickly wash of any poo in warm water i dont wash any that are poo free,  see i was always told you should never put eggs in the fridge and i never have done.   I will stop washing the eggs now :lol: :lol: nickyx

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 17:26 »
No, I don't store eggs in the fridge either.

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 19:20 »
eggs are never kept in the fridges at the shops so why fridge them at home ?? i dont firdge mine as they never hang around long enough  :lol:

ehs284

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 19:46 »
The shell is mainly a 'box' for the egg. It is semi porous. The membrane around the egg is the main protective element and whilst intact does prevent ingress of materials and bacteria. Condensation may help bacteria penetrate the shell, but this is not the real reason for not refrigerating.  At temperatures under about 20C the membrane lasts about 20 days after which it loses its effect. The reason eggs are not kept in a frig is that the membrane is damaged by the low temperature. This does not matter whilst the egg is in the frig, but means that if returned to ambient temperature it will no longer be efficient in keeping out the bacteria. Thus it is unnecessary to refrigerate new-laid eggs and the general advice is (in UK temperatures) keep at ambient for first two weeks and then keep refrigerated.
Cleaning commercially is a dry brushing system and wetting should not be necessary. Don't put fouled eggs in the frig as this introduced faecal bacteria to what should be a clean environment.

karlooben

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 20:03 »
there is no way i could ever tell anyone any of that  :lol: :lol: i would get it so so mixed up my brain tends to full alseep on some things an that would probably be one of them .

hillfooter

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 21:56 »
It seems that the practises on refridgeration vary with national borders. In the UK the Food Standards Agency recommend the public to refridgerate from what I can see (food prep industry is similarly advised) in contrast to ehs post see.

www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/nutritionessentials/eggsandpulses/eggs/

"Storing eggs safely
Here are some tips to help you store your eggs safely:

•Do store eggs in a cool, dry place, ideally in the fridge.
•Do store eggs away from other foods. It's a good idea to use your fridge's egg tray, if you have one, because this helps to keep eggs separate.
•Do eat dishes containing eggs as soon as possible after you've prepared them, but if you're not planning to eat them straight away, cool them quickly and then keep them in the fridge.
•Don't use eggs after their 'best before' date for the safest choice.
•Don't use eggs with damaged shells, because dirt or bacteria might have got inside them

In the US eggs for sale in food stores are required to carry a notice to store them refridgerated.  See

www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/ucm077342.htm

"Buy eggs only if sold from a refrigerator or refrigerated case.‡
Open the carton and make sure that the eggs are clean and the shells are not cracked.
Refrigerate promptly.
Store eggs in their original carton and use them within 3 weeks for best quality."

I've never heard about the membrane being damaged by cooling and it seems rather impractical to store at 20C for 2 weeks before refridgeration so do you have any references for this ehs?  If the membrane forms the main protection it would seem that the recommendation not to wash the shell is not so critical?? :unsure:

Obviously it's not a good idea to put contaminated eggs in the fridge uncontained so you would need to put in a poly bag or sealed tupperware or similar container.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 22:08 by hillfooter »

xx
Washing eggs??!

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 22, 2011, 22:34
by orchardlady
xx
washing eggs

Started by Sarah J on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post November 23, 2008, 09:48
by poultrygeist
xx
washing eggs

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 16:53
by 8doubles
xx
washing eggs

Started by nicky d on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 18:51
by woodburner

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 36 queries.