Garlic ready!!

• 5 Replies

viettaclark

Garlic ready!!
« on: July 02, 2013, 00:40 »
I HAD to pull my Chinese and Music garlic today. The sweetcorn is nearly 18" tall and still in 3" pots so must be planted out and I'm putting courgettes between like Monty Don. (these are the courgettes that I thought I'd sowed too late which are growing to the naked eye!!!)
Anyway....the garlic is 100% successful and HUGE!!! Best I've ever grown yet it's still quite early?
The ground is horrendously dry (does garlic prefer dry soil?) so I'm going to have to fork in loads of manure/compost and leaf mould before watering and planting.
Then I can sit back (yeah! wot about the rest of the WATERING) for a bit to enjoy some produce after all the hard graft.......
Mmmmmm....strawbs and cream tea methinks......

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: Garlic ready!!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:16 »
pulled half dozen me self yesterday, used in tea, top stuff, sweet loads of garliceee juices. yea they prefer the dry conditions.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

BabbyAnn

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:31 »
well drained fertile soil would be more apt - they still need moisture when growing, but when bulbing up that's when dry is better.  There's nothing worse than seeing dark rain clouds arriving at this time of year  :(  (already seeing signs of root rot on some of my earlies which I've started to lift)  2011 was the best year for growing garlic here, this year not looking so clever

seaside

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 16:27 »
My 4th year with garlic. Never managed much yet and this year is no exception. It was a bit wet earlier on and they now look as if they have a bit of rust ? In the past i have had small bulbs, white rot and just about everything else. I even notice one of my stalks seems to have started some cloves some way up it's stem away from the bulb. Very strange.
I don't think I've ever paid them enough attention.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 16:30 »
I even notice one of my stalks seems to have started some cloves some way up it's stem away from the bulb. Very strange.

Are these not scapes? If so, you should remove them and you can cook and eat them. :)

http://gardening.about.com/od/herbsatoz/a/What-Are-Garlic-Scapes.htm
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 16:36 by arugula »
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Ema

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 21:37 »
I pulled one tonight not expecting much but it's a lovely bulb not huge but the cloves are fat.

Out of interest if the stalk/inner leaves are still green can this be cooked for soups etc?

xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Garlic, when will it be ready

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 09, 2009, 23:55
by bonfire
xx
Is my Garlic ready?

Started by Weaver on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 23, 2009, 09:13
by harrymac
xx
Garlic ready?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 21:41
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 39 queries.