favourite vegetarian dish

• 11 Replies

daisy1990

favourite vegetarian dish
« on: August 23, 2011, 19:43 »
as a new veggie- does anyone have a favourite vegetarian dish they can share with me?  I am getting rather bored with the dishes I can cook!  I do eat fish and dairy
Thanks in advance
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Milly

• Experienced Member
Re: favourite vegetarian dish
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:31 »
If you're a fish eater try the 'Fish Pie' out of the Jamie Oliver Ministry of Food Book, everyone in our house loves it. I adjusted it to suit us and left out the spinach, I only add half a lemon zest as a full one was overpowering. It's a lovely pie and no messy sauce to make.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/fish-pie

Debz

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:37 »
Puff Pastry (ready rolled version) and covered with sliced tomato, sliced courgette and torn up mozarella.  You lighty fry the courgette first.  Put your pastry on a lightly greased baking sheet and put on a stripe of tomato, a stripe of cheese then a stripe of courgette and repeat this until you have covered the whole pastry.  A sprinkling of oregano on top and it's into the oven at 180 for 30 minutes (I think and will check).  I somethimes put fresh basil leaves under the slices of tomato if I have them.  It's so good and I am not a veggie - I just had a lot of courgette one day and asked a veggie colleague.  In fact I am having this tonight served with a salad.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 10:04 »
I did that last night for tea using the recipe idea on the pastry pack. I had loads of veggies from the plot and roasting them is a good way of getting a good flavoursome cheap meal

Having eaten it though I realised it didn't really need the pastry  :D 

noshed

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 10:18 »
This time of year the roasted pepper thing is great:
Half the red peppers, take out the seeds, put in a roasting tin with an anchovy in each, a peeled tomato, garlic and a basil leaf. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast fiercely for 40 mins or so and eat with crusty bread. The combination of flavours is brilliant and the anchovies melt into nothing. You can put mushrooms in as well if you like.

Gazpatcho is also good - there's loads of recipes but I just whizz peeled tomatoes with garlic, olive oil, red pepper, fresh basil, chillies, pepper and red wine vinegar until it tastes scrumptious.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 10:46 »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Salivating now

I think the anchovy is a marvellous little thing. For its size it packs a real punch. Once you start using them you can't stop though  :D

Sue33

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 10:58 »

my hubby does a fabulous stuffed butternut squash for our DIL

Roast a whole bns, when cooked halve and scoop out the seeds, fill with the following:

couscous mixed with mushrooms and tomatoes, whatever veggies you like - add lots of cheese (whatever you like) pop back in the oven or under the grill - absolutely delicious   :happy:

personally i love bns roasted with baked beans & cheese  :)

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 11:47 »
I love roasted peppers too - very easy to do and they keep well in the freezer.  I add them to things like basic passata-type tomato sauce and it really makes a difference to the depth of flavour.

My youngest daughter is vegetarian, and one of her favourite dishes is Butternut Squash & Goats Cheese Stew from the Sophie Conran 'Soups & Stews' book:

3tbsp Olive Oil
50gm Butter
2 Onions, chopped
2tbsp each Thyme and Rosemary, chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1 Butternut Squash, peeled and cubed
1 Sweet Potato (small) chopped
150ml White Wine
4 Tomatoes, skinned and halved
150ml Marigold stock
100ml Cream (sour, double or whipping)
200g Goat’s Cheese, sliced

Heat the olive oil and butter together in a large pan over a medium heat until butter is completely melted.  Add the onions and fry for about 10 minutes until soft.

Stir in the herbs, garlic, butternut squash and sweet potato, and season well.  Continue cooking for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.

Stir in the white wine and turn up the heat for a couple of minutes.  When the wine has reduced by half, add the tomatoes and stock. Simmer gently for ten minutes and adjust seasoning. 

Heat the grill.

Stir through the cream and top with the sliced cheese.  Place under the grill and heat until all the cheese has melted and started to brown.

Serve with a green salad and couscous and/or crunchy French bread.

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 21:54 »
thanks all great ideas

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 22:02 »
You could always make me the muesli you've been promising for weeks mum =D
(I forgot to ask again whilst I was downstairs, and figure you're more likely to read this before I see you again so would stand a better chance this way!)
xx
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 08:27 »
You could always make me the muesli you've been promising for weeks mum =D

I'll send you some of mine in the post Mulberry.  ;) Want milk on it?  :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

jonners

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 00:58 »
I love courgette and spring onion soup (in fact its a toss up between that and leek and potato). I pretty much follow this recipe although I do not bother with the egg yolks.

xx
sorrels dish of the day

Started by sorrel on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post November 22, 2006, 15:18
by muntjac
xx
new dish finally

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

9 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 23:13
by Madame Cholet
xx
pie dish standards?

Started by Princess1 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2011, 08:46
by Princess1
xx
vegetarian gelatine?

Started by nipper31 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 21:04
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 39 queries.