Angry about idiots

• 5 Replies

themagicaltoad1

Angry about idiots
« on: July 21, 2011, 13:42 »
I've just seen someone on my local freecycle site asking for a rabbit hutch. They have decided to get some chickens and need somewhere to shut them up at night. These people obviously haven't got a clue about keeping hens and can't be bothered to learn what's involved and what they will need before they embark on this. IT MAKES ME SO ANGRY!

boosmummy

Re: Angry about idiots
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 14:16 »
Can i ask without getting shot  :blink: :unsure: , is this a major problem, to keep them in a hutch at night if they are free-roaming all day?  The reason i ask - not because i want to keep chickens in a hutch, mine will be getting a fancy coop so they have a bit more room., but i have read that they can be kept in a hutch.  i once read a book where the lady kept the chickens and rabbit in the same hutch overnight and they 'seemed' quite alright.  Someone also suggested to me instead of getting a coop why dont i get a rabbit hutch  :unsure: :unsure:

It is a genuine question from a non chicken keeper who wants to be a chicken keeper, and thus the reason why i havent got chooks yet as i want to know everything positive and negative before i embark on them.

xx

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 14:34 »
I shouldn't really have posted this until I'd calmed down a bit but I do get fed up with people who get pets/ animals without doing a bit of research first. Chickens need a nesting box of some sort to lay eggs in, they need perches to sit on at night, and they need a draught free house. A rabbit hutch is ok for a short period ie if you need to separate a sick hen or a broody on eggs but not as a permenant coop.

boosmummy

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 14:37 »
I shouldn't really have posted this until I'd calmed down a bit but I do get fed up with people who get pets/ animals without doing a bit of research first. Chickens need a nesting box of some sort to lay eggs in, they need perches to sit on at night, and they need a draught free house. A rabbit hutch is ok for a short period ie if you need to separate a sick hen or a broody on eggs but not as a permenant coop.

brilliant thanks, i did wonder about perches and roosting boxes, hence never thinking it was a good idea to get a hutch for chooks xx and i promise im doing all my research first  ;) xx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 15:26 »
yes they also need a door to stop draughts and also ventilation holes that are above head height (as well as perches and nest boxes).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Springlands

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 15:37 »
No wonder you were cross - so many people never read up about the issues involved before they get either hens or any pets.

xx
Angry goose

Started by Mulberry1990 on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2011, 08:14
by alancane
xx
upset and angry

Started by mammahen on Chicken Chat

31 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 08:56
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 39 queries.