Goodbye Aggie

• 12 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Goodbye Aggie
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:49 »
In January I posted "hunched up, mucky rear" about my ex-bat, Aggie.

Sadly, I am updating the post to let you know Aggie passed away yesterday   :(

Although she had perked up considerably, she had become hunched and mucky again over the last few days, but I decided to let her be as she was otherwise enjoying life especially when corn or other treats were about, throwing herself into the melee with the rest of them. On Tuesday she seemed more content with her own company than jostling with the others and when I came home from work yesterday early afternoon she was lying in the nest box. I knew her time had come so I lifted her out and lay her on my lap, trying to make her as comfortable as possible. Apart from a couple of frantic flaps, almost like she was trying to hold onto life, she slipped away quietly...

I will miss my funny little round chicken and her funny ways, but at least I know she had a longer and much better life roaming and scratching around in my garden for the last 2 years than she did for the time she was cooped up in a battery cage.

RIP Aggie.....
100_1088 (600 x 454).jpg
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:51 by Catsmuvva »

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Re: Goodbye Aggie
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 13:02 »
So sorry to hear your sad news.  :(

We also lost one of our girls yesterday and as hard as it was I never want to see them suffer.

I am sure they are now scratching around together in Chooky heaven xx
Emma

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 13:05 »
p.s. here's a photo of Aggie back in March '09 when she came to live with me. Of my original 6 girls she would have been voted "most likely not to last more than a week"!
100_0826 (600 x 454).jpg

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 13:18 »
So sorry to hear your news. Looking at the 2 pictures you posted just shows how much you did for Aggie, allowing her to enjoy a couple of good years and having a peaceful end.  :(
Helen

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 13:21 »
Oh dear, so sorry to hear about Aggie.  Judging by the photo of her when you first rescued her you would have thought she wouldn't last long. But she did!  Bet she had a fabulous time with you.  On the first photo she looks absolutely beautiful which is credit to you and your care  :)

It's very sad and I'm all sniffly now

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 13:29 »
Don't be too sad as you gave her a wonderful year of knowing how to be a happy chicken seeing daylight and being loved. You bought her on really well and she positively bloomed xxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 16:23 »
I am so sorry to hear about Aggie.  At least she had 2 lovely years with you.

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 17:47 »
Really sorry to hear your news.  :(

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 18:07 »
What a transformation and what a wonderful life she had with you. Thank you on behalf of Aggie for being such a great Mother.  :)
Alan

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 20:20 »
Thank you all so much for your kind words.

There's so much about her I'm going to miss, what a pity you can't see her character from the photos. You know, there's chickens and then there's chickens with bags of character - like the fact she never really got the hang of curling her toes in when she picked up each foot to walk. As a consequence she goose-stepped everywhere with her toes stuck out in front, walking looked odd & running was downright hilarious - but it was her way and I loved her for it...

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 23:48 »
Aw, bless. Yes, they are such characters and are quite delightful.

joodith

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 08:09 »
Very sad to read about Aggie.   :( ...she obviously had a lovely and loving life with you, and a peaceful end. 

I joined this forum a few minutes ago looking for answers to my poor sick girl, Vera.  She's about 18 months old and has always been free-range with her friend GP (Greedy Pig, as my husband calls her), but the more timid of the two.   On Monday she was fine, puttering away in the paddock while I sat and read my book, keeping a watchful eye out for Mr Fox; she sat in her dustbath, enjoying the warmth of the sun for a while, and then it was time for them to go back in their pen.  She went straight into her house, which was most unusual, as she'd usually stay out and play until dusk.  By Tuesday she was becoming lethargic and not interested in her treats. She has deteriorated through the week, becoming hunched and not sitting down. Her comb is pale pink and as she hasn't laid for about two weeks I thought she was eggbound, however yesterday I read about Sour Crop so proceeded accordingly. She produced a stream of stinky slime; she then ate a little warm mash and drank some fresh water, but has stayed in her house. Oh - I've also noticed her head, on either side of her comb is slightly swollen.
This morning her crop is empty, she's still hunched, and has taken only a couple of her favourite treats.....soft grapes.  When I cuddle her she's warm, her eyes are bright, but she's obviously not the Vera I know and love.
One chap who keeps chickens says to put her down, but although I don't like to think of her suffering, I don't want to be too hasty in case it's something simple that can be treated.  Has anyone out there got any advice?

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12 »
Yes, take her to the vets.

xx
Just said goodbye to my girls

Started by Beetroot Queen on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 13:03
by Debz
xx
Goodbye Alexandra

Started by hillfooter on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post February 03, 2011, 17:31
by jinty1911

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 36 queries.