Can I cut back BroadBeans?

• 7 Replies

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
Can I cut back BroadBeans?
« on: October 24, 2017, 11:17 »
Sowed some broadbeans into root trainers in an unheated greenhouse about three weeks ago, come back from a fortnight in the sun and they`ve gone mental.There not exactly leggy, just too tall (for my liking) to survive the winter cold and winds,so can i cut them back to say three-four inches once planted,will they re-grow?
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Can I cut back BroadBeans?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 13:09 »
I did the same many years ago and it killed them off

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 13:34 »
Broad beans do grow second or sometimes a third flowering stem, but that is when they are more mature. The last time mine were cut down by frosts and went black, some did grow new stems and went on the crop, albeit rather late

If it were me, I'd cut them back and also sow some more... belt and braces... or even wait until February as tbh those sown then soon seem to catch up with the Autumn sown ones

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 21:32 »
cut em back to about 3-4 inches yesterday (leaving 2-3 leaves) and planted, gonna leave uncovered for now then fleece when we come out of this mild spell.If they come good all the better if not i`ll re-sow next year.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 22:43 »
cut em back to about 3-4 inches yesterday (leaving 2-3 leaves) and planted, gonna leave uncovered for now then fleece when we come out of this mild spell.If they come good all the better if not i`ll re-sow next year.

Do not cover it will make them too soft to survive the Winter.

What you want is for the first leaves to be just above ground to go through the Winter, no more. Last week in October is when I usually sow mine. With mild Winters that may be too early.

I have almost come to the conclusion that you are better off sowing in February. Not far behind the Autumn ones and a wider choice of varieties.

victoria park

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 01:37 »
'm still a fan of Autumn sowing but don't do so until a direct sowing first week in November, protected with enviromesh from rodents and birds through to February.
Apart from the obvious blackfly benefits that the month early gives me, I also have a growing crop to save soil degredation over winter, one less crop and bed  to contend with in the Spring and then all done and dusted in time for a Summer crop of something afterward. As beans provide a lot of their own nutrients, the bed is well placed to take 2 crops with a bit of help.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 09:12 »
I sowed mine yesterday. I then compacted the soil by walking all over it to avoid giving the mice an easy time stealing them. It worked last time I did it.

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 10:55 »
The slugs will cut them back for you! :nowink:

IMO the main benefit from autumn sowing is to the seed companies who get to sell you some more in spring ! :)

xx
Broadbeans

Started by maelyn on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 21:08
by sunshineband
xx
Broadbeans

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 23, 2019, 12:51
by Jeebus
xx
Broadbeans

Started by BOYDO on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 02, 2009, 15:35
by Paul Plots
xx
broadbeans

Started by kiowa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2007, 10:23
by ACatCalledElvis

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 38 queries.