Green manure

• 9 Replies

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Green manure
« on: September 16, 2019, 08:56 »
Hi,

I've got an area of my plot which would benefit from a nutrient boast, I also hate weeding (derived from a lack on time) so I thought I'd give a green manure a try.

Got some seeds:

https://www.seedaholic.com/green-manure-landsberger-mix.html

Now my plan is to prepare the ground, sow, then when ready cut back with a strimmer to ground level, then cover with a weed fabric

Pretty normal, except for the covering bit, does anyone else cover the green manure or is a must to actually dig it in?

Thanks.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: Green manure
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 09:29 »
I normally cut my green manure down and leave it on the surface as a mulch. It's easy enough to brush aside when I need to plant or sow anything. It all rots down nicely and the worms take it into the soil for you.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 09:02 »
I'm looking at growing green manure next year  I've been looking at the benefits of using green manure and  I think I'm going for caliente mustard as I understand it can  be used as part of a rotation system to clean up the ground but I'm not sure how many times you can sow on the same plot ?

jezza

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 23:05 »
Hello I saw a recent article in a tractor mag about a farmer cutting mustard on a warm day on a cabless tractor and nearly gassed him self strimming can have the same effec,covering immediately afterwards will make the gas go into the ground and kill slugs and eelworms  jezza

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 14:12 »
Hello I saw a recent article in a tractor mag about a farmer cutting mustard on a warm day on a cabless tractor and nearly gassed him self strimming can have the same effec,covering immediately afterwards will make the gas go into the ground and kill slugs and eelworms  jezza

:ohmy: :ohmy:
How should you chop it down then?
I assume a mask would need to be a full gas mask!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 14:13 by andreadon »

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 17:30 »
I must admit I haven't seen any recommendations from DEFRA regarding mustard crops and the effects of the gasses released from cutting mustard the mustard I intend to grow will be either be runover with my tractor or by using my strimmer because its recommended to turn in the mustard within twenty minuets after  cutting

could it be the pollen content that causes the gases when its in flower I know some recommend turning it in before it flowers although one could use a mask for respiratory protection if  desired

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 19:47 »
I've only tried green manure once in the last few years, did field beans, but I'm considering growing it in some of the beds this year, kings seeds sell a winter mix which includes a rye, plus winter tares and field beans which mixed together should all fix some nitrogen and add some soil improvement.

jezza

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 19:03 »
Hello if it's only a few inches high (3) and dug or ploughed in it should be ok I only posted about the gas as a precaution as it's lethal stuff it's buried in sealed containers in a wood not far from me it's monitored daily  I get a vile smell from a very small geranium type plant growing in a lawn it makes me cough and wheeze if I strim it I avoid it now jezza

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 18:06 »
I sowed alfalfa several weeks ago and it's come up great. They I learned that chickens like alfalfa hay as it has a lot of protein in. No chance of cutting and drying it now so I hang some up fresh.

Usually hay is a no-no for chickens as it chucks out nasty mould spores when damp.

I've grown Hungarian rye as a green manure yet digging it in is not the easiest thing in the world.

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 19:26 »
Green manure seeds arrived yesterday, winter mix (tares and rye) and field beans. I'll grow different things in different parts, ie one bed is heavy and would benefit more from the field beans, which apparently are well suited to heavy soils. The winter mix can go in a few other beds.

xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Green Manure and Animal Manure

Started by AllotmentTom19 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 22:47
by Muddylou
xx
Green manure vs animal manure

Started by Jai on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 14:25
by Trillium

Page created in 0.313 seconds with 50 queries.