Hatching Incubator Temp

• 9 Replies

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Hatching Incubator Temp
« on: January 04, 2009, 09:33 »
Hi,

Checked the eggs this morning in the incubator and the temp has risen by 1/2 degree celcius.

Day 16 today - is it somthing to do with it is getting close to the time?  I am going to increase the humidity on day 18 and shut the lid up until day 22.

I will check again on the next turn.

As I know chicks are developing from candling the eggs - what food should I be getting?  I have seen chick crumbs at Copdock Mill (my feed supplier for my hens).  Is there anything I should look out for?

Vember

Hatching Incubator Temp
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 10:52 »
Hi Matthew

They will be moving around more as you approach the final days this will make them warmer :)
Other thing to check is the room that they are in has that temp increased too?

As for what you need Chick crumbs is what's needed. The organic types I don't think have the medication in required against Coccidiosis, so it might be best to avoid those, I use farmgates bog standard crumbs

LINK

Sarah :D

Jellyhead

Hatching Incubator Temp
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 10:52 »
just the chick crumbs and a dish of water. Good idea to put a stone in the middle so they cant fall in and drown.....which can easily happen.
How exciting, cant wait to see the little ones in a week or so, assuming you camera is at the ready :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Hatching Incubator Temp
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 20:39 »
get the sack of feed from copdock, not the 3kg bag. it wont last 5 mins and works out really expensive.

they keep moving the chick crumb sacks so you may have to ask for it.

glad to hear they are doing well matt

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Hatching Incubator Temp
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 14:40 »
Hi,

Babe: I went down to Copdock today and grabbed a couple of 20kg sacks of chick crumbs.

I am sure mr cock is fertilising mrs hens eggs now so I will try 18 of my own after the ones Bev gave me (hopefully) hatch!

I have increased the humidity today and the last 3 turns are tomorrow, left for 3 days - I hope to see some hatch on Friday.

Fingers crossed... Photos will be on their way soon (if i can work out how).

Kate and her Ducks

Hatching Incubator Temp
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 14:45 »
Will be keeping my fingers crossed for all of you.

Wish my teachers had done something this cool when I was there, although suppose we did have frogspawn :roll:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Hatching Incubator Temp
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 15:05 »
Sadlly I am not a teacher.  My official roll is a teaching assistant but I have found myslef to actually be managing school resources among quite a few schools in the county and to come up with new ideas to stimulate younger childern (hence the chicken eggs).

I don't think I shall be for much longer as I am seen as a person that is not essential to the day to day running of schools.  But oh well it's all to do with the so called credit crunch - I have a creative design business that is running itself so it isn't money thats the worry; it's what to do during the day!!?!

It could be an excuse to get a few more chickens...

happy chick

• Experienced Member
Hatching Incubator Temp
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 15:53 »
Ah Matthew that's terrible that your role is viewed that way.  The children are the ones  that will be missing out if you go and it's things like hatching eggs that take their imaginations and create interest.

Thank you so much for keeping us all informed with this post.  I've really enjoyed reading so far and would love for something like this to be done at my littlun's school. Kate I loved seeing the frogspawn grow when I was a young un; I don't think kids ever tire of seeing nature at work.  I do know someone who'll have fertile bantam eggs available come spring and who'll have the offspring back if needed.  I might mull it over a bit longer and see what happens!!!

In the meantime good luck, keep the posts coming, can't wait to see what happens!  :D
Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny
                                         - Tyron Edwards

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Hatching Incubator Temp
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 16:38 »
Quote from: "matthew2riches"
it's what to do during the day!!?!...

ooooooo if thats your only worry matt, i have a lovely veg plot in the garden that needs digging over  :wink:

matthew2riches

• Experienced Member
Hatching Incubator Temp
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 17:24 »
lol Babe.  I have my own allotment that has a small section that just needs finishing off and manuring and then I have a greenhouse to setup (£220 from B&Q!!!) as well as the polytunnel to go up once plastic is sourced and ordered.

That's all before I get the seeds in!  So I suppose I do have quite a bit I can be getting on with.  It'll all be ok!

I shall get some photos of the plot loaded up on the Forums for everyone to have a look at.

Note to self: charge up batteries tonight.

Speak soon!

question
New incubator, what temp?

Started by redspookycooky on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 10, 2012, 07:59
by Mickle
xx
incubator temp

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 21:34
by pigglywiggly
xx
incubator temp?

Started by scotty on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 23:12
by scotty
xx
at what temp does a hatching egg become a lightly boiled egg?

Started by pushrod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 18, 2009, 02:25
by betty

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 38 queries.