Dithane 945

• 25 Replies

MoreWhisky

Re: Dithane 945
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 19:33 »
Im using this for the first time on my Toms as i lost 3/4 crop last yr, sprayed them for  the first time today.

Is it ok to spray the stuff on my little green tomatoes ?

Or do i try to avoid them and just spray the leaves?

Cheers

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 19:34 »
Spray the lot, just don't eat them. Forget the time period, check the packet!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Salmo

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 22:11 »
The packet says wait 7 days before harvesting outdoor tomatoes and 2 days for indoor. so I would guess your little green tomatoes will be OK by the time they are red.

I would always wash them anyway.

I

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 23:31 »
After previous years I have 4 greenhouses planted up with tomatoes and just two outside plants that way should the dreaded B...... strike I shouldn't have too much bother disposing of them.

Such a shame as I think outside tomatoes may taste much better.

(My pack of Dithane still unused).
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 05:43 »
Totally agree about the taste of the outside ones.

I've cut back to about 40 outdoor plants this year, the 100 last year was way too many to cope with the crop! Thanks to the Dithane though, I didn't lose one of them, whilst the other plot holders on our site of about 40 plots couldn't scrape one tomato between them.

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 14:42 »
Congratualtions on what looks like being a great crop of tomatoes DD - seems (touch wood) to be a good year for them.

I was not so brave. Having lost around 40 plants for the last three years I decided to stick to indoor growing as disposing of all the blighted plants and fruit was a night-mare without anything more than a bike trailer!  :(

I have never used Dithane 945 as the OH would sooner have none than eat anything sprayed with chemicals if we can avoid it.

But... not to give up altogether... I planted just 2 outside and they are having a ball!  :)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 18:45 »
Well after last yr ive took DD advice and using the Dithane it was either that or grow something else i think.

I dont like using chemicals either but i want some toms!  ive only got 15 plants in this yr so will see how we go.

So far so good fingers crossed  ;)

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 00:28 »
Well after last yr ive took DD advice and using the Dithane it was either that or grow something else i think.

I dont like using chemicals either but i want some toms!  ive only got 15 plants in this yr so will see how we go.

So far so good fingers crossed  ;)

I wish you luck - I was so fed up with trying to dispose of nasty black gunge I've almost given up so it's bound to be a good year for outside toms!!  ::)  :lol:

rdarcy

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 13:33 »
For blight on tomatoes best is copper fungicide, no way would I use Dithane. Copper is harmless for small growers, sticks well to tomatoes and can be washed off using your fingers under tap. I am now beginning Nov harvesting half ripe toms to be brought indoors to fully ripen - the Cu even prevents them rotting indoors! For potatoes the only solution is not to grow lates, earlies have the best flavours and no blight! I am a retired chemist (not pharmacist) and know all about copper - if you dont have that disease where you cannot metabolise it, it is harmless.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 16:35 »
Most copper fungicides have been banned by the EU, for use in gardens and allotment (although I believe that organic farm are still allowed to use them)
Unfortunately this means we can't recommend them on the forum.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2017, 04:56 »
The whole thing's a bit irrelevant anyway. The resurrected thread is over 7 years old and relates to a substance no longer available.

xx
DITHANE 945

Started by Steve.B on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 14:55
by Aunt Sally
xx
Using Dithane

Started by cathy81walking on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 22:39
by peapod
xx
Thank you, Dithane

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2009, 10:44
by Jonajo
xx
Dithane

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 17, 2013, 18:35
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 40 queries.