dithane

• 12 Replies

m1ckz

dithane
« on: June 30, 2016, 14:58 »
hi all  last year i mixed 2 ltrs or this an didnt use it   will it still be ok to use now   ty

Twitch

Re: dithane
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 17:36 »
I did the same, was a bit lumpy, but added a bit of fresh water and after a lot of shaking it seemed fine. So I used it and that was about two weeks ago.
Have seen no ill effects and no more nasty brown leaves and stems.

:)

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 18:13 »
great     ill try it   thanx m8

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 21:03 »
Didn't want to start a new topic...so 2 years on.
I sprayed my toms and spuds last year with |Dithane 945 and had a great crop of each when all my other plot holders lost a lot of plants due to blight. I don't like spraying chemicals but if I didn't I would of lost all my hard work. Been trying for a long time to get info on the possible bad effects on the fruits if any but can't find any, ie any harmful effects on human consumption? We always wash the toms before using. We do get a fair amount of blight because a lot of our lovely plot holders compost or hid their blighted plants around the site!! Two years ago we lost all our toms and all the spuds got it but saved the spuds.
I know some of you would never use chemicals and other do. just want a balanced answer.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 06:52 »
I'm a live and let live kind of bloke and so think that people should garden in a way that suits them, be it using chemicals, rotavating, no-dig etc. Me personally, I prefer the organic way. I think the use of chemicals relates to what growers ultimately want to achieve and those who want a high success rate will spray to do so. Good for them.

I don't expect or strive for 100% success, I've lost a lot of toms and pots to blight this year and yes it's disappointing when all that hard work results in a diseased crop but then I think of all the successes and that balances things out. For me, owt beats nowt.

I doubt the chemicals used are dangerous to human health but for me, I'd simply prefer they weren't there than were there. Washing off is one thing but when the chemicals hit the soil it's inevitable that some of those will be taken up by the plant, either in that or successive years and as cheap as veg is, if I was going to use chemicals I would save myself a LOT of time and effort just going down the supermarket and buying my veg instead. I also fear that beneficial organisms in the soil could be compromised and that by eliminating pesky pests from the food chain, that the delicate ecosystem of our allotment will be left unbalanced. I'd rather plant flowers that will attract hoverflies etc around my veg to take care of the pests instead.

I grow because I feel a sense of satisfaction in cooking great food using veg I've nurtured myself from seed, and accept that sometimes that will involve some disappointment. Our family doesn't have much money so organic/free range isn't affordable to us, so if we're going to put all this time and effort in, this is the veg we're aiming at.

Enjoy your home-grown veg, chems or not, it tastes better and it's yours. (",)

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 08:31 »
Thanks, can buy a bag of onions for a couple of pounds but not the same as growing your own from seed or sets. I would rather not spray but we always get blight if the conditions are right, seems a waste to go to all the trouble of rearing the plants only to lose them all. Still 50/50 to buy some or not.

madcat

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 09:22 »
We have moved on to using soluble aspirin against blight and other fungi based problems and it seems to work.  It is essentially synthetic salicylic acid which is naturally produced by willow trees, so if not organic at least nearly, and doesn't need washing off.  Have a look at http://www.jameswong.co.uk/tomatoes/4588088979  He even uses it on hanging baskets, which I haven't tried!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 14:36 »
Looks interesting, have to do a comparison test with/without and aspirin. Thanks.

jezza

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 20:32 »
hello I thought dithane was under review and withdrawn from sale  I used to work in a market garden we grew lettuce and sprayed 11 chemicals from 2 leaf stage to 7days of cutting dineb thiram rovral ronilan metasystox were just a few reminder do not mix insecticide/fungicide in bottles and leave them unmarked  jezza

Christine

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 09:37 »
Seems that dithane itself is still legal if you can find it but many of the products containing it have been banned. Bit of searching on the RHS site there.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 10:25 »
Seems that dithane itself is still legal if you can find it

That's why I didn't jump in with the usual  " this site cannot condone the use of blah blah blah" :lol: :lol:
The product is available and still being used by farmers. Some people are selling it on, in small packets - but at a price!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:26 by mumofstig »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 10:34 »
I remember many years ago when I was at college our Tutor telling us about soluble aspirin and how useful it was all around the garden and plot.   
I also use it in cut flowers, it stops the bottoms of the stems rotting and prevents the vase from becoming discoloured.
So maybe you will give it a try.  good luck, regards,   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 18:13 »
Think I might use the Dithane on my spuds and try the Asprin on the tom.

xx
Can you still buy Dithane?

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 03, 2014, 13:14
by vron
xx
Dithane 945

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post November 06, 2017, 04:56
by DD.
xx
DITHANE 945

Started by Steve.B on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 14:55
by Aunt Sally
xx
Using Dithane

Started by cathy81walking on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 22:39
by peapod

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 41 queries.