dehydrating tomatoes

• 18 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
dehydrating tomatoes
« on: September 16, 2015, 09:07 »
Do you do them till they are crispy or semi-dried? And if it's the latter, how do you store them?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: dehydrating tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:27 »
They don't really go crispy in my experience unless you are doing very small fine slices.  More leathery in texture, but if you tear one open and can't see or feel any dampness, they are ready to store in jars. 

Sometimes they are a little tacky with dried sugars.  As long as they are 'dry tacky' not 'wet sticky' they are done.  If that makes any sense  :wacko:  :lol:

You may find they are so nice straight out of the jar, storage is not really an issue  ;)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 11:20 »
I semi dry, coat in oil and freeze. The oil doesn't freeze hard so you can remove what you want.

surbie100

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 11:32 »
Thanks both - I'll try each method. Do you have to cover them in oil in the container, or just coat? :D I have 2 gravel trays of tomatoes to deal with, and even more hanging in the greenhouse.

We're just not eating them all quick enough, and while I like making sauce it gets a bit boring.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 11:37 »
I don't have a dehydrator, so I just chop them up a bit and freeze in 1lb bags ready for soups and sauces, but I want to try canning a few this year see how they turn out.  Never done it before, but I do sometimes worry about losing everything if the freezers go down like my big one did a few years back!   :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 12:04 »

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 13:30 »
Surbie, I use a good slick, enough to stop them sticking together

Grannie Annie, I do masses of whole bottled toms as I prefer to make sauces as I need them, just doing a dozen or so ready sauces for when I do beans and such. I bottle multi coloured cherry toms as they are, san marzano for sauce, another plum for chunky toms. The latter two I peel. For all I just pack into sterile jars with a sprinkle of salt and sugar between each layer, put a lid on and waterbath for 40 minutes.  I have them there for easy suppers, tomato sauces, soups and stews. They are so much better than bought tins.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 15:19 »
In Italy and Greece sun-dried tomatoes are really, really dry (and salty) like crisps  :)

After a very good sprinkling with salt, as a preservative, I used to dry mine outside, on a board (under muslin to keep the flies off) for 5 or 6 days, bringing them in at night if the nights were cooling.

Obviously less drying if you want sun-blush tomatoes, which are stored in olive oil.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 20:10 »
I dry some until they are very dry and leathery.

Others I dry to the sunblush stage and then bottle in  oil and vinegar; sometimes plain and some times with fennel seeds and basil.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 20:11 »
I semi dry, coat in oil and freeze. The oil doesn't freeze hard so you can remove what you want.

That is a brilliant idea Tosca; will try that one.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 21:25 »
Phyllis Hobson suggests skinning (60s in boiling water then cold quench) and coring them, slicing to 3mm slices and drying at 50C until hard and crisp (18h).

When I tried this in an Excalibur drier, I found they *really* stuck to the tray meshes.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 23:05 »
Try lining the trays with baking parchment or magic non stick liner before you put the tomatoes on the trays.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 23:24 »
Try lining the trays with baking parchment or magic non stick liner before you put the tomatoes on the trays.
Just a word of caution...I had a one of the round dehydrators and I lined the trays with baking parchment and the trays warped and cracked.  I don't know for sure that the lining and therefore poorer circulation of heat was the cause, but I wouldn't risk it again.  I couldn't get replacement trays either because the manufacturer said it was my fault.
Anne

surbie100

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 23:26 »
They are very good at the 'a bit leathery' stage. Yum.

Have banned OH from the kitchen.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 23:51 »
Just a word of caution...I had a one of the round dehydrators and I lined the trays with baking parchment and the trays warped and cracked.  I don't know for sure that the lining and therefore poorer circulation of heat was the cause, but I wouldn't risk it again.  I couldn't get replacement trays either because the manufacturer said it was my fault.

I have the large Excalibur that pulls the air through the back of the machine, so haven't found it a problem but I can see it might be in the smaller round stacking models.

xx
dehydrating

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

35 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 18:35
by tosca100
xx
dehydrating red onions

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2012, 06:42
by Madame Cholet
xx
Dehydrating food

Started by Poolfield2 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 15:20
by Poolfield2
xx
Dehydrating experiment

Started by shokkyy on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post September 24, 2012, 07:46
by tosca100

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 40 queries.