When to start feeding cucumbers.

• 5 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

When to start feeding cucumbers.
« on: May 04, 2012, 09:42 »
My second attempt at cumbers has been much better than the first. I have them in clear pots, so I can see they have a decent root formation. This morning though, I notice the seed leaves are going a bit crinkly around the edges. There is only one true leaf showing, the second is still just a bud. They are not lacking water. Would it be ok to give them a dilute feed to be soaked up from the bottom? The seeds were set about three weeks ago and sprouted a week later.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 21:32 by DD. »

sarajane

Re: When to start feeding cumbers.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:48 »
I don't start feeding mine until the first flower appears. There will be enough goodness in your compost until it needs potting on

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:52 »
I haven't sown mine yet, must add that to the 'to do' list!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:55 »
While they're small they don't need feeding - wait till they start to flower as sarajane says  ;)

The seed leaves often shrivel and die, so don't worry about that as long as the more are growing ok.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:58 »
They are usually fed in the same way as tomatoes (and with a similar type of feed) - i.e when they start to set fruit.

Just keep your cukes as consistently warm as possible (but not standing above a radiator!) to make sure they actually reach that happy stage!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 11:50 »
They have gone rapidly downhill in just a couple of hours. I expect the seed leaves to be an item of the past by this afternoon. I wouldn't worry about seed leaves dying off if there were a few true leaves, but there is only one true leaf showing and the second just a small bud type thing. If the seed leaves drop off, they will look absolutely stupid. Why both doing the same thing at exactly the same time? They have been happy for two weeks, and nothing has changed. All the toms I set in the house copped for exactly the same fate. The common denominator looks like the compost.
IMGP1159.JPG
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:03 by A Reyt Tayty »

xx
Feeding Cucumbers

Started by djbnat on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2007, 14:07
by Trillium
xx
Feeding Cucumbers

Started by beansticks on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 11:30
by Pellynut
xx
Feeding Cucumbers

Started by steved on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 21:10
by Totty
xx
Feeding cucumbers

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 28, 2017, 12:12
by John

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 40 queries.