Protecting my veg patch against beasties

• 4 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Protecting my veg patch against beasties
« on: May 04, 2012, 08:45 »
I have a small veg patch in my garden - about 6 feet by 15 feet. In there I have strawberries, rhubarb, sprouts, onions and (will have) sweetcorn. I'm starting to think about protecting against birds etc.

Would it be detrimental to any of the plants to build a large fruit cage type thing and enclose the whole bed... I'm thinking about pollination problems if bees can't get in... ?
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Protecting my veg patch against beasties
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:12 »
That's the trouble - you can net the whole bed with a netting that will keep the birds out, but you need a finer netting to keep the cabbage whites off the sprouts.
If you cover all with finer netting you won't get any strawberries  :(

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:27 »
Hmm, thanks Lesley. Maybe if I build a cage that's tall enough to walk into, then cover the sprouts with a finer net... I'll have a think about it.  :wub:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:32 »
I have the same problem  ::)

I've covered my garden bed with bird netting on an old polytunnel frame, but will still have to put a bit of fine net over the winter cabbage - but at least that's lower growing than sprouts!

At the allotment I have less trouble with birds - I spose they have more food to choose from  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:40 »
Of the things on your list I would suggest that only the strawberries and sprouts need protection, unless you have other beasties in your area (e.g. grey squirrels have been known to take sweetcorn cobs but they've left mine alone so far.)

You need to balance the cost, trouble and probably unsightliness of a cage against the potential pests you might have given your actual crops and location.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Beasties

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2021, 15:41
by cc
xx
Wee Black Beasties

Started by DadBear on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 22:36
by Aunt Sally
clip
Beasties in my Comfrey butt

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 28, 2022, 14:42
by maddave
xx
Little black beasties. Blackfly?

Started by Bigfatsi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 11:31
by Bigfatsi

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 41 queries.