Composting Mare's Tail

• 18 Replies

SusieB

• Experienced Member
Composting Mare's Tail
« on: June 04, 2010, 10:06 »
I have Mare's Tail in my lawn, which I am attempting to control by mowing.  There is some in the flower bed, which I am chopping back as soon as it appears.  Can I compost the lawn mowings? I know it grows back from bits of root, does it grow back from the tops?
Many thanks for any advice.

penance

Re: Composting Mare's Tail
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 10:08 »
Doesnt seem to grow from the tops, i compost ours from the lawn clippings.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 10:10 »
mine grows back from the tops  >:(
I came I saw I grew my own veg

compo

• Experienced Member
    • west end cleaning
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:17 »
  :mad: Burn it, burn it again, then when its cooled right down and looks all charred and black, burn it some more........then throw it into a volcano in Iceland
Politicians are like nappies - they need changing for the same reason

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 11:57 »
I agree

destroy with extreme prejudice

Burn Burn and Burn some more.

Unless your compost bin gets as hot as the sun, just burn it!  ::)
I hate signatures but love irony

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 12:33 »
The old boys on our allotments say you can nail it to a south facing barn door for two years and if you drop it on the ground after that it will still grow  :ohmy:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 18:22 »
I agree

destroy with extreme prejudice

Burn Burn and Burn some more.

Unless your compost bin gets as hot as the sun, just burn it!  ::)

You got this problem too?  >:( :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 21:24 »
Mares tail is the kind of thing that if planted on contamined disused steelwork slag heaps and watered only with sulphric acid it would still grow and thrive. To get rid of the stuff simply stick it amongst the glowing cherry red embers of your BBQ for a few hours only then can you bin it. Caution though it may not be dead.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

penance

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 21:37 »
Weird, i've never had any problems chuckig the green tops in the compost bin.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 23:48 »
i've read a thread on hear,by a very senior member, saying u can dry it 4 6 weeks then compost it!!!!
i'm even worried about using poo after the chickens have eaten it!!!

like a real nerd i've planted the needles and they grow well :( :(

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 08:47 »
I think it's the root that you can nail to the wall/plant on a slag heap.  Maybe it's the tops that don't grow back (without a little bit of root), but with all the bad experiences mentioned above, now I'm not sure.........

hardcore

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 10:11 »
Someone advised me to use Doff Tough weed killer to get rid of Mares Tail.  I’ve not used it yet, so I can’t confirm its effectiveness.  If anyone has, would you please enlighten me/us.  I shall try it later this year and let you know the result.  Here’s hoping it works, (my memory, that is.)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2010, 22:43 »
its rumoured to have been around for 60 million yrs(ice age and all) weed killers will slow it down though. i've had some success with round-up on a flagged area, hardly any growth this year but IT WILL BE BACK.

Did anyone see Gardeners World when they planted it in pots around a pond, they must be mad. OK the roots are contained but what about the shoots that have the spores on that blow like dandelion seeds??????????? :D :D :D :D :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 14:06 »
Someone advised me to use Doff Tough weed killer to get rid of Mares Tail.  I’ve not used it yet, so I can’t confirm its effectiveness.  If anyone has, would you please enlighten me/us.  I shall try it later this year and let you know the result.  Here’s hoping it works, (my memory, that is.)

Doff Tough weed killer used to include Ammonium sulphamate but the manufacturers didn't seek to get approval when the rules changed (John wrote about it, I agree with him that its chemically pretty simple, so unlikely to be an issue .. Ho!hum!)

Anyways, Doff Tough weed killer is now formulated based on Glyphosate, so I don't think its likely to be any more effective than any other Glyphosate weed-killer - the advice for which tends to be bash/bruise the plant before applying, or cut and then "inject" into the hollow tube-like stems - either way, lots of effort.

Ammonium sulphamate still available as a compost heap accelerator - amazing isn't it, as both routes must get the chemical back into the environment I would think - but don't spill any whilst carrying it to the compost heap 'coz you'll be breaking the law ...   :tongue2:

savbo

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 16:18 »
Someone advised me to use Doff Tough weed killer to get rid of Mares Tail.  I’ve not used it yet, so I can’t confirm its effectiveness.  If anyone has, would you please enlighten me/us.  I shall try it later this year and let you know the result.  Here’s hoping it works, (my memory, that is.)

Ammonium sulphamate still available as a compost heap accelerator - amazing isn't it, as both routes must get the chemical back into the environment I would think - but don't spill any whilst carrying it to the compost heap 'coz you'll be breaking the law ...   :tongue2:

Oh dear I wouldn't want to make that mistake! You don't happen to know which compost accelerators contain this terrible chemical so I can avoid them?

:)
M

xx
mare's tail in strawberry bed

Started by lanky lurcher on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 28, 2009, 21:19
by lanky lurcher
xx
mare's tail - how to kill??

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 21:42
by Lastcast
xx
Mare's tail ok on the compost heap?

Started by She'sinthegarden on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 14:54
by Pompey Spud
xx
Mare's tail , newby slight panic

Started by justviolet on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 14:36
by savbo

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 35 queries.