Crop Rotation

• 4 Replies

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Crop Rotation
« on: March 01, 2007, 11:54 »
I Know what I'm going to plant but as I know little about what was grown in previous years i could do with a bit of advice.

The plot is spilt into 4 areas each with 5 beds 4foot by 12foot. Area's C and D still being dug as I'm clearing couch grass, this should be finished by the end of next week.

A - Found garlic
B - Found root crops
C - Been told in the past beans and peas grew here year after year but not last year I have also found two rows of raised earth where i assume potatoes may have been at some point.
D - As above

This is what I thought I could do
A - Peas/Beans
B - Potatoes
C - Brassicas
D - Roots
Try my best to be Organic but don't always make it

milkman

Crop Rotation
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 12:26 »
Hallo Marianne - Don't worry too much about what has been planted where before.
Not sure what your soil type is - my suggested rotation plan would be:-
A - potatoes (add lots of compost, manure etc. before planting)
B - Peas beans (mix in compost, manure etc. before planting)
C - Brassicas (mushroom compost - nice and limey which brassicas love)
D - roots (just add leaf mould if you have some otherwise don't worry)
Then next year A would be peas/beans, B would be brassicas, C would be roots and D would be potatoes.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

little sweetpeas

• Experienced Member
Crop Rotation
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:37 »
The soil is clay but since digging I've realised that the soil is not really heavy as i thought it would be. The other plot holders tell me that they are able to grow everything on the plots and that it's good soil. Only one plot out of 32  have raised beds.

noshed

Crop Rotation
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 11:02 »
I wouldn't worry too much about raised beds if the soil is OK. Fixed beds work for me though - or fixed paths really. Removes some of the uncertainties from life.
I just mark them off with string - I've used black mulch mat for the main paths and left the other two as grass and they seem to be OK. Just pull up any big weeds.
The bloke next to me is making teeny raised beds and it seems like a lot of work and a lot of paths.
I got confused last year about crop rotation. It hadn't occurred to me that things get planted at different times and some things go in after other things are over.  Now I'm just concentrating on not putting the same thing in the same place every year.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

WG.

Crop Rotation
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 11:12 »
Quote from: "noshed"
I got confused last year about crop rotation. It hadn't occurred to me that things get planted at different times and some things go in after other things are over.  Now I'm just concentrating on not putting the same thing in the same place every year.
Treat crop rotation as the next step - it becomes easier when you start to understand the plants, seasons and soil.   Main thing is to put manure and roots at opposite ends of any rotation that you come up with.   "Manure after roots" is better than "Don't manure before roots".

xx
Crop rotation

Started by Seagull on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 01, 2021, 12:01
by Growster...
xx
Crop rotation

Started by Jaynel on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 21, 2015, 15:46
by sunshineband
xx
Help with crop rotation please

Started by suesowsseed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 18, 2010, 08:46
by DD.
sad
crop rotation

Started by redwine@roses on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 16, 2010, 19:59
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 38 queries.