propagating primocane tayberry medana and blackberry reuben

• 2 Replies

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
Does anyone know if Tayberry Medana and Blackberry Reuben [both primocane varieties] have a spreading growth habit like raspberries, or are they more like most other blackberries? e.g. do they spread by suckering or is it by cuttings/layering? I saw a mention [here: http://www.perennials-of-distinction.co.uk/epages/Store2_Shop1030.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Store2.Shop1030/Products/TAY1/SubProducts/TAY1-0006] saying the Medana Tayberry has a growing habit more like a raspberry but little mention elsewhere.

SG6

Re: propagating primocane tayberry medana and blackberry reuben
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 15:04 »
The tayberry, Medena as I recall, I have seems to be fairly easy, they grow from a central clump, haven't got any runners as raspberries, however they have long canes and these will touch down and the tip forms roots and a new plant.

If I recall the tayberry has thorns, lots of thorns, evil little whatsit. You do need thick good leather gloves to even get close. Loganberry has slightly less, jsut not a lot less.

What happens is the canes get long and without the gloves and ties to hand you cannot just handle the cane and get it off the ground.

The blackberryies I have are Waldo and Loch Ness, again both form a small clumb, both have long cames, cannot recall which has the longer. The long one will also touch down and form roots. Canes can be 12-15 feet long so sometimes they get out of control.

Trillium

Re: propagating primocane tayberry medana and blackberry reuben
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 15:43 »
I know for a fact that my thornless blackberry clump gets slightly larger each year but does stay as a clump unless I've not paid attention and a long cane touches the ground in my veg patch and suddenly I've got more plants all along the touching edges   >:(

I had a tayberry years ago, can't remember the variety, but it stayed where it was but you needed gloves of steel to get into it. Haven't bothered with them since. I have enough trouble with the birds spreading black raspberry seeds everywhere and those vicious things sprout on contact  :mad:

xx
Blackberry Reuben

Started by Plot30 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 16, 2012, 12:18
by Plot30
xx
Anyone tried Blackberry Reuben?

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 13:41
by shokkyy
xx
Blackberry Reuben advice

Started by Plot30 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 27, 2012, 12:35
by Stevens706
xx
propagating blackberry canes.

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 21:06
by Lardman

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 35 queries.