underplanting grapes

• 3 Replies

dmg

underplanting grapes
« on: January 05, 2013, 21:34 »
I have a 2yr grape vine that I want to train along one side of gh, it will be a t shape about 4ft high and extend 6ft each way. The roots will be planted outside.
Can I underplant anything under it or will the grape roots take all the nutrition?
The bed is slight sunken so I could box it in to give an extra 4ins or so.

Thanks
Dmg

Trillium

Re: underplanting grapes
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 00:45 »
Once the grape's roots get down deep, they won't interfere with anything.

However. Whatever you try to underplant will likely need feeding and grapes do better without any sort of food. Their sweetness comes from their 'struggle' at taking whatever is in the soil rather than having it heaped on. If you feed your underplantings, then the grapes will leaf out heavily and not produce a lot of grapes. Plus, they'll take up whatever water is available.

Better to simply put weed barrier fabric around the plant and cover with stones.

m1ckz

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 07:34 »
well thats interesting,i put my grapevine in the corner of the pallet compost bin,,which is full of rotted horse manure,its now 8ft high an 10ft each way,,that was the first year,thought id found the perfect place lol.maybe a re think an move it

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 15:38 »
Logically you'd think feeding grapes, like any other crop, is the way to go, but grapes are the exception to the rule. Think about wine grapes in the fields which are never fed nor watered, and the drier the year, the sweeter the grapes. Other than annual pruning and keeping undergrowth short, they're 'badly mistreated' yet produce wonderful crops.

Mine accidentally got a few shovel fulls of compost and they went rampant with little fruit  >:( That will be corrected this year.

xx
underplanting sweetcorn

Started by Sue32 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 22:59
by Bombers
xx
Underplanting brussel sprouts

Started by ptarmigan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 08:01
by ptarmigan
xx
Underplanting green manure

Started by Stringbags on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 21:20
by al78
xx
underplanting under runner beans

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 20, 2014, 08:42
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 39 queries.