So how did you get your hens?

• 22 Replies

Casey76

Re: So how did you get your hens?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 07:06 »
I got my first two as a house warming gift from a friend ;)

I don't think she realised what she was letting me in for lol!

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23 »
I was given 3 pol has a gift in 2009 I called them Daisy, Doris and Dot but Daisy turned out to be a Mr Daisy and the neighbours did not like the crowing  :(so I had to found him a new home I did with an Orpington breeder  :)  so then my OH got me 4 more hens from a local breeder  :) now I have six and they got along great together (I do miss him :()
DSC00694 01.jpg
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

jinty1911

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 19:02 »

Lindeggs, I so much cannot wait till you get your very own chicks.  I know you have researched and planned and waited for soooooo long.  You will need to post pics as soon as they arrive!!!  :D  :D

Thanks Jinty.  The people here are really the only ones who understand!  The other day one of my friends asked me how I managed to turn every conversation around to talking about chickens!  :unsure:

Faith, Hope and Charity? Oh and Grace!!!

Of course the minute I get them I will be taking photos and sharing them on here... once I can tear myself away from the coop of course.  :D

I think I will name one of my hens Patience.  :closedeyes:

chickadee

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 19:15 »
what a bodge job it turned into in the end, the photographer failed to phone me to book an appointment so came while i was out and took 1 picture over the fence, not the best view of the garden and certainly gave no impression of the work and detail within the garden that ideally needs to be photographed from all angles. i fumed at the news that no judges would be coming as a similar garden had been picked for the best back garden...... i called alan oakley one of the event organisers (who i know from my voluntry work) and explained the fact that my garden could not be judged by one picture having taken the same picture myself and could clearly see the injustice of the situation he told me that unfortunatly the organisation in the final week had been shoddy and rushed and that the garden was judged on the picture taken, well at this i lost it. alan came to see me the following day and showed me 4 sets of pictures mine, the garden picked over mine, the winner, and a blind mans garden.... after i took alan around my garden he wholeheartedly agreed that several pictures would have raised my chances as the photograph taken did'nt show very much. the garden similar to mine (his words) had chickens and veg plot etc... but was no way as neat and diverse as mine well i saw the chickens and thought hang on when i enquired if as a social housing tenant could keep chickens they said no so i asked alan who is a housing officer if i could and what the rules are and he said yes so the chucks are back on and should be settled in by the end of july... so that is a good outcome. i said to alan that he needs me next year to take the photographs as i felt i could do a better job and he agreed so i am now the 2009 photographer something else to put on my c.v. and at least they will get some semi-decent pics and i won't be taking any over the garden fence. i am over it now but i am 100% certain that i did'nt win any prize is because of the cruddy photo and not my garden and there's always next year. i am far more excited about the chucks and i would have created the garden to this standard comp or no comp.
That was 3 years ago and i haven't looked back
chickens out

jinty1911

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 19:29 »
what a bodge job it turned into in the end, the photographer failed to phone me to book an appointment so came while i was out and took 1 picture over the fence, not the best view of the garden and certainly gave no impression of the work and detail within the garden that ideally needs to be photographed from all angles. i fumed at the news that no judges would be coming as a similar garden had been picked for the best back garden...... i called alan oakley one of the event organisers (who i know from my voluntry work) and explained the fact that my garden could not be judged by one picture having taken the same picture myself and could clearly see the injustice of the situation he told me that unfortunatly the organisation in the final week had been shoddy and rushed and that the garden was judged on the picture taken, well at this i lost it. alan came to see me the following day and showed me 4 sets of pictures mine, the garden picked over mine, the winner, and a blind mans garden.... after i took alan around my garden he wholeheartedly agreed that several pictures would have raised my chances as the photograph taken did'nt show very much. the garden similar to mine (his words) had chickens and veg plot etc... but was no way as neat and diverse as mine well i saw the chickens and thought hang on when i enquired if as a social housing tenant could keep chickens they said no so i asked alan who is a housing officer if i could and what the rules are and he said yes so the chucks are back on and should be settled in by the end of july... so that is a good outcome. i said to alan that he needs me next year to take the photographs as i felt i could do a better job and he agreed so i am now the 2009 photographer something else to put on my c.v. and at least they will get some semi-decent pics and i won't be taking any over the garden fence. i am over it now but i am 100% certain that i did'nt win any prize is because of the cruddy photo and not my garden and there's always next year. i am far more excited about the chucks and i would have created the garden to this standard comp or no comp.

Where's the pics of your garden?  We want to see them  :D  :D

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 21:07 »

Where's the pics of your garden?  We want to see them  :D  :D

BEFORE and a few weeks AFTER the chickens move in!!!!  That sounds like the silver lining behind the big black cloud.
ManicMum

Abacus

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 13:49 »
I was given 3 pol has a gift in 2009 I called them Daisy, Doris and Dot but Daisy turned out to be a Mr Daisy and the neighbours did not like the crowing  :(so I had to found him a new home I did with an Orpington breeder  :)  so then my OH got me 4 more hens from a local breeder  :) now I have six and they got along great together (I do miss him :()

OH or Mr Daisy?
TTFN Jim
House Husband (Certified)
! Barnvelder Cockerel
1 Welsummer
1 Welsummer mix
1 Salmon Favorella
4 Rhodie Hybrids

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 20:26 »
Mr Daisy OH keeps coming back :lol:

xx
How many different hens......

Started by GrannieAnnie on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 18:59
by Hayley'sHens
xx
New hens

Started by uba on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2012, 17:00
by j00les
xx
New hens

Started by oborne27 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 21:21
by ANHBUC
clip
New hens

Started by ActionFlack on Chicken Chat

21 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 12:58
by themagicaltoad1

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 36 queries.