Mum and ducklings haven't moved

• 6 Replies

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
Mum and ducklings haven't moved
« on: June 19, 2009, 16:47 »
Hi everyone,

My runner, Dora, is still sitting on her nest despite 2 ducklings having hatched on Wednesday.  There are 3 eggs left in the nest which obviously haven't hatched - will she sit there until I take them away???  She's being very protective and giving me warning signs she doesn't want me to go near her and her babies (fair enough!!) so I don't want to make her do anything but I'm concerned she hasn't eaten or drunk enough (her, or the babies).  I have put food and water in her house but it doesn't really look touched.  Should I leave well alone and wait????

Jo :)

Vember

Re: Mum and ducklings haven't moved
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 17:40 »
I'd get her out TWF, it's time them babies were eating :)
The ones that hatched here on weds were drinking Thursday am :)

It seems a bit of force is going to be required, she will panic and go for you but get those remaining eggs off her that's what's keeping her there :)

Sarah :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 19:05 »
I'd get her out too. I think 24 hours is enough and all of them need to get a bit of food and water in their bellies.

Shoo mum out gently and yes she will panic. Do what ever you can to not handle the ducklings as she will really panic then. I managed to get one of mine bitten by Mum as it had fallen in the pond so I picked it up to get it out. She charged at me bit me and then the duckling really hard and wouldn't let go. Seemed to be trying to pull it off me. Luckally they are really hardy and no harm done but really scared me!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 19:25 »
Ok, I've just been out and moved her off the nest.  She did go for me but she wasn't too bad.  Picked up the remaining eggs - one hadn't hatched at all and the other 2 had ducklings which were halfway out and died  :( :( - I'm really gutted - why does this happen?  I've left Dora and her babies but they just headed straight back into the house and didn't go near the food (probably too panicked).  Shall I shut off the house to make them stay outside???

Jo :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 19:34 »
I made Sally stay out for a little while and then let them back in after they has settled down outside a little. Then let them out again in the morning (they may need a little nudge again in the morning).

Vember

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 19:47 »
Yup I agree with Kate :D Leave them out for a little while.
Muffin took her two straight to the pond and she had a right good splash about before they all headed to the food dish :)

Sarah :)

two webbed feet

• Two Webbed Feet
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 21:36 »
Just been out to check on the duckies and it looks like Dora's definitely been out - there's a massive smelly poo just outside the house!!  Looks like the crumb and water have been messed about with too so I'm hoping the babies have had some food and water now as well  :)

Thanks for all your advice - its great to have all you experts at the other end of the 'puter to help  :) :)

xx
Help ! and I haven't even started yet

Started by Newbury Novice on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 19:41
by Fisherman
xx
My Bantams haven't molted

Started by oborne27 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2011, 19:55
by oborne27
xx
newbie (haven't even started yet)

Started by Walfre on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 07:50
by Walfre
xx
Red mite - I haven't tried dynamite yet but am thinking about it!

Started by pandora on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 09:31
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 35 queries.