New keeper: Hardly any eggs in 4 months

• 13 Replies

eggless

New keeper: Hardly any eggs in 4 months
« on: June 13, 2009, 17:37 »
We have had 4 ex-batts since March and in all that time have only had about a dozen usable eggs from them.  We've had ones with soft shells (or no shells at all); but even they have stopped and we've had nothing for two weeks.

We started feeding them with layers mash (organic), moved to layers pellets, and recently on advice from Allen and Page, on ex-batts pellets.  They are not particularly keen on any of the food we give them (except the bread/rice/pasta leftovers they get very occasionally) and seem happy picking at grass, leaves, slugs etc in the garden - to which they have full access.  We've also tried a poultry tonic and are now trying Lifeguard.  They are all, except one possibly, happy and content.  But we think at least two of them have never laid an egg for us (and they are the two biggest and top of pecking order). 

Any sure fire ideas on how to get reluctant hens to lay eggs, or even reassurance that we're not alone, because everyone else we talk to has never heard of this phenomenon, would be very much appreciated.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: New keeper: Hardly any eggs in 4 months
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 18:09 »
That's why the farmers get rid of them  ;)

Ex-batts are unreliable as layers, some will lay for a year or more after release and some just enjoy a well earned retirement  :)

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 19:47 »
That's why the farmers get rid of them  ;)

Ex-batts are unreliable as layers, some will lay for a year or more after release and some just enjoy a well earned retirement  :)
As Aunt Sally said, they have past their sell-by-date, that is why they are sold off, if they where reliable with eggs they would be still used, all these poor chickens have done for the last year is eat and lay eggs, now to be replaced by younger stock.
Michelle
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 21:11 »
Yes, they may have run out of eggs!!!!

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 19:51 »
Switch them over to growers for a few weeks. Then once they try to lay switch them over to a good quality layers pellet.
I would highly reccommend Apple Cider Vinegar in the water as well.

Have a look for red mite in the coop as well if it's not been creosoted. This can stop girls laying and if left untreated kill them.

Cut the treats out for now as it's really not helping. If you want to give a treat try scrambled egg.

eggless

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:34 »
Thanks for replies.   We realised that egg production wouldn't be as high as with "proper" hens, but had hoped for at least one egg from each a week - hence our disappointment. 

We'll give the growers and apple cider vinegar (can I use the stuff from the supermarket or need special?) a go and see what happens.  They're in an eglu so am assuming tht red spider mite shouldn't be there??

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:39 »
you need the acv from a feed merchant, the shop stuff doesn't have the tannine or something in it, i've had my ex barns a year now, they layed like crazy for a long time and only recently have stopped, 2 eggs a day out of 25, sometimes we get more and sometimes none at all, maybe you were just unlucky with your 4.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 09:39 »
No to supermarket type think that has been refined.
As for red mite in eglus I think that is one of their main selling points - none, plus the fact that they look nice, easy to clean etc.
Have they been wormed recently? This may help, but ex batts are at the end of regular laying, they just need someone to love and care for them  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:10 »
4 chooks in an eglu, are they overcrowded?  Seems a bit much.   Any sign of eggs yet?

eggless

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 16:04 »
Thanks again.  We've got one of the big eglus so plenty of room.

Re worms - we gave them a course of Verm-X about 3 weeks ago.  Have since been reading that Verm-X no good so were wondering about trying something else (Flubenvet??). 

too many girls

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 16:20 »
Flubenvet's the bizz  :)

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 20:05 »
As above Flubenvet works and works well.

traacyken

• Experienced Member
  • my boy troy!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 21:17 »
hi were do you get the wormers from im going to get some in for when i get some girls, hope you have some luck in getting some eggs eggless :)

karlooben

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 21:42 »
you can order flubenvet online or try any large horse feed merchant stores somewhere like countrywide i know they have stores all over the place .

also look everwhere and i mean everywhere i thought my guys had slowed down and well they had not now ethier my girls were able to fit under the main house { 4- 5 inches of the ground } or a rat had been taking them but only the other day and by chance we pulled out 36 eggs from under the shed and of course they were binned .i closed up around the base of the house but i still check under there  :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

xx
Experience, 5 months in, of a new chicken keeper, at an allotment

Started by OakR on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 26, 2021, 00:10
by OakR
xx
Why no eggs for 6 months?

Started by madbantamlady on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post January 26, 2007, 14:09
by Aunt Sally
xx
Months without eggs!!!!!!!!!??????????

Started by SUTTY1 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 21, 2010, 17:48
by SUTTY1
xx
Can you hatch eggs during the winter months?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 05, 2012, 15:29
by joyfull

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 30 queries.