What veg are best for growing here?

• 6 Replies

Kagganz

What veg are best for growing here?
« on: February 06, 2009, 11:25 »
Although I will be growing most of my veg in my back garden, I also have a front garden (with only a few shrubs in it) the front of the house faces west so gets its sun from mid afternoon onwards in summer.  Are there any veggies that would do well here please? (Or any that I should avoid)

I was worried that they won't have any morning sun  ???

Thanks all x

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
Re: What veg are best for growing here?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 12:56 »
Hi Kagganz,

I've been enjoying your blog.  Greenhouse is looking great.

Obviously you don't want to dig over the front garden and plant turnips. 

Have you thought about more architectural plants for the front garden?  Perhaps a long rambling pumpkin that will provide smaller colourful fruits that you can train.  Also the lovely yellow scallop courgette (Petit Pan?) have great leaves and beautiful flowers and brilliant yellow fruit.  Rhubarb looks good for large parts of the year too.

How about a small bean wigwam?  Beans are quite pretty plants and have nice flowers.

Fruit bushes have great shapes and lovely flowers and then there's the fruit too.

I can highly recommend a herb patch.  It takes up very little room.  You might struggle with basil and coriander if it's a bit nippy in the mornings but all the hardier herbs will do well.  Thyme, Parsley, rosemary, marjoram, mint and chives will all do well and they look and smell great.  Try out Tarragon too.  There is a hardier variety which I think is called Russian Tarragon.

Knowing that you favour the container you should be able to grow your herbs in pots.

Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

Kagganz

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 13:50 »
Oh thanks for all that info.  I have 2 raspberry bushes and 1 blueberry bush in pots in the back,  I could actually plant them in the ground in the front coudn't I?  I never thought about that!!!!  :D

Plus I already have some bean seeds and as you say they would look nice with the flowers.

Ooooh, lots to think about there,

Thanks again and thanks for reading the blog, I know it's lacking useful info but I am learning arn't ! ???

xx

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 20:39 »
I grew bright lights chard, purple broccoli and a weird yellow cauli in the front last year. Had a bad crop off the cauli but the rest fit right in with the flowers.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 20:47 »
You could also run cukes up a decorative trellis. They prefer the actual fruit to have some shade so your front yard is a perfect place. The key point is not to make the veg or fruit look so great that passersby will help themselves.

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 20:54 »
The key point is not to make the veg or fruit look so great that passersby will help themselves.

I have a big fence and ferocious rabbits who will protect their veg to the bitter end. You know, like the killer rabbit from Monty Python and the holy grail. :D

Kagganz

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 06:33 »
You could also run cukes up a decorative trellis. They prefer the actual fruit to have some shade so your front yard is a perfect place. The key point is not to make the veg or fruit look so great that passersby will help themselves.

I know I did think about that.  Touchwood we don't have any trouble/thefts  at all round here, I do hope thats because  because I'm the neighbourhood watch woman ????   ;)

Wait for it now that I've said that.......... :unsure:

xx
Anyone tried growing

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2012, 17:04
by Beetroot queen
clip
What am I growing?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 16:42
by Aidy
xx
What are you growing too much of?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 21:26
by Thrutchington
smiley
veg growing

Started by teresalinich on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 11:07
by Kimberley04

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 38 queries.