General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

• 7 Replies

Willow_Warren

General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost
« on: May 31, 2012, 17:04 »
Hi,

I went to get another bag of Clover general purpose compost only to find they had sold out...

But they did have a small Clover grow bag (it is the yellow one on this page: http://www.cloverpeat.co.uk/CLOVER-RETAIL-COMPOST-1.html), it said it ws 40L on the bag and only £1!  Which did seem extremly good value (although the bag did seem a bit small for 40L but I guess there are some discrepancies between different types of packs/manufacturers) either way it was a good prices.

I bought a bag anyhow as I needed it for potting my tomatoes up, and afterall the grow bag was intended for tomatoes so what harm could it do...

I might be answering my own question shortly as I have identical plants, some planted in Clover GP compost and some in Clover Growbag compost (although some got hardened off earlier than others so will be slightly different environmental conditions).

Anyhow, I just wonder if there would be a different, the texture of the cheap stuff seemed good, similar to the GP really...

Hannah :)

mattwragg94

Re: General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 17:12 »
firstly a 40l growbag for £1 is a bargain, and remember that it does say on the bag 40l when packed meaning that the volume could have gone down due to further decomposition ;)

but back to your main question the only difference between growbag compost and general multi-purpose compost is that the compost in growbags tend to hold water better and have added nutients!, so for example clover growbags maybe made with clover compost with manure added.

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 17:44 »
I don't think I've seen this brand in a shop before, although I have seen it mentioned on this site.
Where do they sell it? It sounds like quite a bargain.
I was going to buy the ones from the 99p shop which are supposed to be 17 litres, because I need about 20 and I thought it be hard to beat that.

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 17:55 »
I don't think I've seen this brand in a shop before, although I have seen it mentioned on this site.

your not the only one, i also had never heard of it before i joined this site!

Willow_Warren

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 18:39 »
Where do they sell it? It sounds like quite a bargain.
I was going to buy the ones from the 99p shop which are supposed to be 17 litres, because I need about 20 and I thought it be hard to beat that.

I've only found it at one place which is an independent farm shop, sells all sorts! All at good prices!

allotmentann

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 19:08 »
I think it is often sold through allotment associations. Ours certainly sells it, and it is very nice, but does contain peat :(

Kirpi

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 20:29 »
I was just about to ask if they did a peat-free version. Maybe they will read this.

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 21:33 »
I was just about to ask if they did a peat-free version. Maybe they will read this.

According to their website they do, they call it coir peat.?!

xx
general purpose compost i did a soil test.

Started by LILLILEAF on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 29, 2020, 09:50
by rowlandwells
xx
used growbag compost from 2012

Started by jeannie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 22:14
by jeannie
xx
spent growbag compost from blighted tomatoes

Started by mjg000 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 11, 2015, 20:40
by mumofstig
xx
My multi-purpose compost mix

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2017, 13:41
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.