Shall I go for it??

• 7 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Shall I go for it??
« on: April 14, 2011, 18:36 »
In January I moved to a new allotment site. It is a half plot, same as my old one (150 sq m). I brought with me some newly divided rhubarb and comfrey, and three blackcurrant plants which I had only planted the year before last. Also I bought some new raspberry canes. So these are obviously not established as yet. I have just got to the stage where I have finished clearing the plot and it's looking really tidy and I have sown several crops. Now just the other day the  site manager came up to me and told me there was a really good plot coming up (a full one) in the autumn, and as I had been doing so well with mine they wanted to offer me first refusal. In fact when I went to have a look today he showed me two that were both becoming vacant in the autumn. I am quite tempted by one of them, because about one third of  it is already taken up with lots of established fruit bushes, including gooseberries, currants, raspberries, blackberries and strawberries.

On the plus side:
with all that fruit, it wouldn't be such a big deal that I would have to move all my fruit again, there would be plenty to harvest while mine was getting established.
I could grow a lot more stuff!
I wouldn't get terrorised by the ferocious yappy little dog that lives on the other side of the hedge at the edge of my current plot :mad:

On the other hand, what if I couldn't cope with the extra space?
Some of that fruit is pretty big/old/out of control

My husband is quite keen to grow grapes and occasionally mutters things about helping a bit, but I'm not sure if his heart's in it.

What to do? I don't have to make a decision for a while, because it's not going to be available straight away, but it would probably be helpful if I let him know sooner or later.

Any thoughts? advice?
Rachael

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Shall I go for it??
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 18:39 »
GO FOR IT!!!

Ive got afullplot and want another one,  so I would bite their hand off  :D 

However (to calm down a bit!) if you worry about struggling then there will always be another chance for a larger area sooner or later.  But, you have done so well with yours and it isnt a rush to get it done in a full year anyway.I promise you will be glad you did if you do decide to take it.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 18:45 »
I'm with Peapod!
I think you should give it a go. All that fruit sounds wonderful. It wouldn't take too long for you to get the fruit bushes under control the following spring. Good luck, hope you go for it! :)

Nige2Plots

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 18:58 »
I took on a second plot last year and after the intial clearing, it certainly is easier to manage. Of coarse my second plot is mainly dedicated to .................fruit!

katiekate

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 19:30 »

I would definitely do it! My site also allows for some flowers to be grown and maybe yours does too? If the extra space is daunting plan for wonderful perennial veg beds, herb shrubs, edible flowers, and bee friendly beds! Maybe they will allow you a little pond?

I'd rather be daunted by too much, than frustrated with too little (still talking about plots  ;))

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 19:34 »
Brilliant reply Katie, some fab ideas there.

fatbelly

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 19:43 »
Last Autumn I moved from a half to a full plot and I so glad that I did.

Having the extra space means I can grow much more food and different varieties of things. For example on my half plot I grew one variety of 1st earlies and one variety of main crop spuds, this year on my full plot I am growing 5 different variety's of spuds. Having the extra space means I can leave more space between each plant which allows for bigger plants that will crop better and be less susceptible to disease.

I am also able to grow flowers for the vase which last year apart from some sweet peas I couldn't really find the space for.

Definitely go for the full plot.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 20:13 »
Oh good, this is exactly what I hoped you would all say  :)
I had already had an idea to grow some cutting flowers, and I might even give asparagus another crack. I'm sure I won't have problems filling the space, I was more worried about the weeding and maintenance side of things. But as Nige says once I have done the initial clearing/sorting out, it's not so hard keeping it tidy, so long as I can come up with some weed suppressing strategies amongst the perennials/fruit.

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 35 queries.