Stringy bean pods Problem

• 6 Replies

skatenchips

Stringy bean pods Problem
« on: April 03, 2011, 21:59 »
I have sown 3 types of bean/pea pods in loo rolls in JI no1 and have had the following results.

Keynan Climbing sown 18/3/11...sprouting nicelly

Early Onward peas sown 18/3/11 ....looking good.

Runner bean(butler variety)sow by 6/2011.............yet nothing came up even though I
put them in on the 18/3/11 yet tonight I unwrapped the loo roll and I found this gooey mess
in the middle of the earth.
It looks like chewing gum but is the remains of the bean pod...all were the same.

What the hell happened as last year this variety worked fine,should I dump the pkt or try again from the same batch.....didnt know if anybody else has experienced this.

Cheers

Gazza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Stringy bean pods Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 22:13 »
Afraid I don't know about the third one  :wacko: but your first ones, particularly the second photo, look incredibly leggy and very pale.  Are they getting enough light?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 22:16 »
snap Yorkie :)
I don't know where you are growing them but they all look a bit leggy as if they need more light :(
The peas can go outside as the temperature is ok for them now. It seems a bit early to have planted french and runner beans as they can't go outside till about mid may, after the last frost  :unsure:

The runner beans do sometimes rot of like that if they sit in wet compost. Try some seed between layers of just damp tissue in something like a tupperware box, after a while at room temperature the tiny root will start growing, if the seed is healthy.
They can then be potted up to continue growing, but at least you will know which ones have germinated, or if you need to get more seed in

skatenchips

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 22:32 »
yep,the peas are going in this week same as last year....hope to have a great crop as
before.

I do kenya beans in 2 monthly batches,same amount again next month ..although a tad long they soon climb up the trellis......hhhmmmm  the frost is a risk I take hence me growing a 2nd batch next month.

yep,I assumed some sort of rot,but before tonight id never seen  pods go all goooey like that
""a learning curve" but like all things would like to k now what causes it as all the Loo roll
bean/pea pods have been watered the same amount ..!!!!!!!!!

Gazza

skatenchips

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 07:26 »
The mrs just read the replies and said"what a blinding idea" Mumofstig....great way to keep tabs on your pods.
I will do this from now on to determine whats good or bad.

Thankyou..... ;)

Gazza

hamstergbert

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:47 »
way back in primary school I recall we used to line an empty jam jar with blotting paper or several layers of newsprint then stick three runner bean seeds equally spaced round the circumference half way up the side and tip a little water in the bottom to soak up the paper and keep the seeds in a moist atmosphere.  They would get plonked on the classroom windowledge, labelled with each kid's name  Then over the following days and weeks we could see the bean seeds split and kick out the roots and growing tips.

OK that was fifty or sixty years ago but I am fairly convinced that was all there was to it.   Perhaps time for me to reawaken my inner child and give it a try again this spring and then pot them on after they are throroughly sprouted!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 12:59 »
you pot them up as soon as the root starts to grow ;)...........any later and it's very easy to damage it when planting :(

xx
Old Bean Pods: Pick or Not?

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 21:53
by Bing
xx
Empty Broad Bean Pods

Started by catherine007 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 21:18
by gobs
xx
Are Borlotti bean pods edible?

Started by johrit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 27, 2008, 17:45
by FCG
xx
Out of curiosity, where do bean pods form on the plant?

Started by boogaloo on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 22:28
by boogaloo

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 35 queries.