capilliary matting

• 5 Replies

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
capilliary matting
« on: May 31, 2023, 20:53 »
Hi,
would appreciate some advice as first time using this product. I have a piece approx 1.5m x 0.5m which i've put along worktop with approx 20cm immersed into a paddling pool of water. After a couple hours the matting looks to be darker in places but doesn't feel damp and the water level doesn't seem to have dropped so wondering if it is working???
I tried to wet the matting but water just kept forming droplets so wondering if I've missed a step (or 2)

Goosegirl

Re: capilliary matting
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2023, 10:26 »
It's possibly because it's new and needs to be used or it's drying out due to the heat - hmm, not sure, but best thing to do it put a plant in a pot on it and leave for a good while then take the pot off and see if it's wet underneath.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 10:26 »
There is a limit as to how high the capillary action can raise the water from the water reservoir - it should mention that in the instructions.

(The matting I bought this year stated 10cm (4") maximum - expensive, but it easily achieved that:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Y2GLNQL?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 22:26 »
Hi,
thanks for the info, nothing in the packaging about the max height but TBH there isn't a huge difference. Usually I leave the pots in the paddling pool which gets topped up every few days whilst we are away but everything is late this year and quite small so thought this would be a better option.

I soaked the matting today and left it and it does seem to be darker which hopefully means wetter. I'll have to see at the end of tomorrow and ask my friend to move them into the pool if they are dry when they come to check on them so fingers crossed

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 22:53 »
Make sure it's fully wetted before using.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 10:25 »
Whenever I get new matting I normally soak it overnight in the sink, weighed down to make sure the whole thing is saturated the next day. After that I find it absorbs water instantly.

xx
Anyone used Capilliary Matting

Started by allotment-shed on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 22, 2014, 12:17
by allotment-shed
xx
Coir matting

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2023, 19:03
by Yorkie
xx
re-using capillary matting

Started by johnfh on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2010, 12:04
by SarahB
xx
capillary matting

Started by deneview on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 18, 2007, 20:33
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 46 queries.