Compost 2023

• 41 Replies

Ivor Backache

Re: Compost 2023
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 18:16 »
Sylvagrow and Dalefoot are advertised at about £20 a bag. I have just bought 60l bags of 100% peat for £6 each. You take out the peat and the price trebles. Please explain that to me.  They have imposed these regulations on gardeners without having a good substitute put in its place. I have had clubroot contamination from two different sources of peat free compost and I will not use it.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 20:27 »
Sylvagrow and Dalefoot are advertised at about £20 a bag. I have just bought 60l bags of 100% peat for £6 each. You take out the peat and the price trebles. Please explain that to me.  They have imposed these regulations on gardeners without having a good substitute put in its place. I have had clubroot contamination from two different sources of peat free compost and I will not use it.

Sorry you had that bad experience with clubroot and compost.  If composting facilities maintain the temperature they are supposed to, for the right length of time, the temperature plus time will kill clubroot, as well as other pathogens.  See https://bsppjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1365-3059.2006.01399.x  The temperatures suggested are normal operating temperatures for creating safe compost.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2023, 07:35 »
I've found this type of thread useful in the past so thought I'd get one going again for this year.

Please share your experiences of the compost bought in 2023 to help inform others.  :nowink:

snowdrops

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2023, 08:35 »
I’ve just taken delivery for garden club of 75 bags of Sylvagrow multipurpose. These are the replacements for last years order (not that many though) that we had an issue with, so I’m hoping to trial it for seed sowing later in the week. I have got some Westland professional that I’ve got seeds going in already, some brassicas have germinated after 4 days in the propagator in that.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2023, 09:05 »
I've merged a similar earlier topic with PPL's new topic, and 'stickied' it so it doesn't disappear off the first page if no-one posts on it for a while (hopefully they will, as I'm sure it's of interest to a great many of us.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AnneB

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2023, 09:10 »
I used Melcourt Sylvagrow last year with excellent results. It is more expensive but I found it at a very good price on a visit to the RHS garden at Harlow Carr.  They had a special offer on.  I still have a couple of bags left.
This year our Allotment Association is taking a delivery of 2 pallets of Happy Peat free compost, recommended to us by our supplier.
We'll see how that fares.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2023, 10:35 »
Privett cutting, cardboard (shopping always comes home in boxes)) grass cuttings mine and neighbours they even deliver to my door, wood chips, all paper ie paper towels serviettes anything that's not glossy, all non meat kitchen waste, all garden waste, chicken waste
With weeds I treat them to a bath first 2bins of water fill bin1 till no more room then bin 2 when bin 2 is full empty 1 onto compost and refill when full empty 2 and so on
I also collect horse manure 1 bucket well rotted manure to 2 finished compost
I stop adding to my bin in October and start a new one, all compost used this year 2023 was stopped Oct 2021 and left 12 months
Sorry for such a long post but hope it helps
Interested in your weed bath. I have a compost-pile-of-outer-darkness that I dump perennial weeds in & it just goes to waste. What do you use as water bins? Would they kill all/any weeds? Thanks.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2023, 12:32 »
For the life of me, I can't fathom why achieving a top-quality peat-free compost would be that difficult. 

Properly processed …       

I think that is what is lacking at the moment. 

Lots of twigs and lumps of clay in the stuff I’ve bought recently. 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2023, 18:53 »
I used Melcourt Sylvagrow last year with excellent results. It is more expensive but I found it at a very good price on a visit to the RHS garden at Harlow Carr.  They had a special offer on.  I still have a couple of bags left.
This year our Allotment Association is taking a delivery of 2 pallets of Happy Peat free compost, recommended to us by our supplier.
We'll see how that fares.

We've got both in stock at present -  the Happy one is cheaper than the Sylvagrow
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2023, 20:06 »
For the life of me, I can't fathom why achieving a top-quality peat-free compost would be that difficult. 

Properly processed …       

I think that is what is lacking at the moment. 

Lots of twigs and lumps of clay in the stuff I’ve bought recently.

The twigs, lumps of clay and other lumpy bits are actually helpful to the next round of compost processed. Facilities use a rotary trommel to separate the good fluffy stuff and send the lumps back through the process again.  Those coarse bits help maintain air channels in the compost, which allows the microbes to do their work more efficiently, and maintain a higher composting temperature.  Also, the lumps carry beneficial microbes from one batch of compost to the next.

It may not be every gardener's cup of tea, but if you ever get the chance, take a tour of a big composting facility. A good state-of-the-art facility will have all sorts of sensors to monitor temperature, oxygen, moisture content, etc. using sensors and computers. All to make the highest quality and safest compost.  I find that sort of thing fascinating (but maybe that's just my own brand of weirdness  :wacko:). I've toured wastewater treatment plants, recycling facilities, composting plants, chicken processing plants.  Maybe that makes me a waste nerd?  :dry: Or a process nerd?  :tongue2:

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2023, 10:03 »
Has anyone tried Mole Valley "RocketGro"? (Just thinking it's cheap!)

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2023, 09:04 »
Jacks magic is decent this year, it's peat reduced.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2023, 10:31 »
I bought some Westland multipurpose and some seed & potting compost.
Not too sure about using the multipurpose to pot on seedlings looked rather rough.
The seed and potting looked ok though. Maybe take the multipurpose to the plot or use it with well established plants..?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 08:58 by Hampshire Hog »
Keep digging

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2023, 13:30 »
Levington multipurpose from Sainsburys (apparently not suitable for seed sowing  :wacko:) already has mushrooms growing in it. Had this issue last year with Wickes peat free compost.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2023, 23:09 »
As secretary of our allotment society I negotiated a trial delivery of non peat compost made to the BSI standard PAS100. I have club root thanks to previous supply of rubbish compost so I have been using this PAS100 to line the hole when transplanting Brassicas. I have not been able to find PAS100 on any compost bag currently for sale in supermarkets and garden centres. It is a pity they did not standardise the procedure before banning peat compost. Some of the rubbish on sale cannot hold water and I fear for holiday makers when they return to their plants. Details about PAS100 can found here: https://wikiwaste.org.uk/PAS100

xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
question
General Purpose Compost vs Growbag Compost

Started by Willow_Warren on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 21:33
by Lawrence
xx
Carrots in compost and last years mushroom compost or not ?

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2015, 08:29
by Steveharford
xx
Compost help - what does peat based compost look like?

Started by cjskts on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 08, 2011, 13:50
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.455 seconds with 55 queries.