Increasing composting

• 10 Replies

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
Increasing composting
« on: May 14, 2022, 09:14 »
I would like to generate more compost. I probably (!) have some space and am looking for recommendations for suitable plants to grow to achieve this.

I'm not specifically after green manure (been there, tried that, don't like the digging) but I've no objections to growing something like phacelia and digging it up before it sets seed but is there anything more bulky than that anyone could suggest?

It could be perennial (I have comfrey already), flowers would be a bonus but not essential but it needs to be able to rot down quickly and be bulky.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Increasing composting
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 13:58 »
In addition to comfrey, the number one champion for generating biomass is some kind of grass. Whether annual (like ryegrass) or perennial (fescue), it produces a lot of bulk, has good protein (nitrogen) content. This assumes you have a lawn mower with a bagger! Avoid problematic or weedy grass species, grow what grows well in your area.

Turnips are also a good choice. The seed is fairly cheap, sow them more thickly than you would for a root crop. You can harvest young plants for turnip greens (healthy and tasty). Harvest for compost when they bolt.

Never miss an opportunity to collect fallen brown leaves. From trees, shrubs, anything.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2022, 20:16 »
We grow field beans to add to the compost.  The top leaves can be eaten as a veg plus chop the plants off before the beans set and the roots leave nitrogen nodules in the soil.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2022, 20:48 »
Not quite what you were asking but could you collect neighbours kitchen & garden waste or waste from a greengrocers? Coffee grinds from a coffee shop?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 08:12 »
We make our compost at home in several dalek type containers hidden at the back. 
We put all the grass from mowing the lawn in there.  We add all our vegetable peelings, tea leaves (no tea bags here), coffee grounds, egg shells and so on.  It makes a wonderful compost that we take up to the allotment.  I generally use it for early potatoes in potato bags and top up the beds with it after the potatoes have been harvested.
The compost bins at the allotment get all the left over stuff like rhubarb leaves, old pea and bean stalks etc. plus comfrey leaves. 
I still need to buy compost for seed sowing and tomato pots at home, as I can't make enough, but that gets recycled as a mulch too.

coldandwindy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 08:36 »
It could be perennial (I have comfrey already), flowers would be a bonus but not essential but it needs to be able to rot down quickly and be bulky.
We've made a rough lawn in an area surrounded on 3 sides by trees. We get flowers because there are a lot of bulbs amongst the grass. (Obviously we don't cut until the bulbs die down and the chickens are allowed in there too, so the down side is it doesn't look tidy.) After that we cut whatever is there about once a fortnight until well into autumn, after the grass has stopped growing, because the fallen leaves from the surrounding trees get chopped, sucked up & mixed into the heap.

Have to say we still don't have enough compost. Not sure that any amount would ever be enough. ::)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 09:43 by coldandwindy »

meterman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 21:32 »
I always bring my shopping home in cardboard boxes and lay these in between all my greens and any that I scrounge from neighbours 2 + bags of grass per week and lots of hedge trimmings

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 22:55 »
Not sure it'll work for you, but I've convinced my neighbours to give me their grass clippings and other garden waste to feed by compost bins. One neighbour also gives me their paper shredding as well to help bulk out my brown waste. In return they get a little of my excess harvests in the summer.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 11:08 »
How about sunflowers?  Plenty of bulk, looks pretty and feeds the birds and bees..

Christine

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2022, 16:04 »
Phacelia is a good seeder, attracts bees and a packet will sure help fill up the bin. No digging and easy to pull up.

cc

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 11:28 »
I am big fan of sawdust from a local sawmill.  As a brown it rots down very quickly. Mixed with grass cutting I find it produces a very hot compost.
I always take the top soil off and bury it, I assume this will reduce the amount of weeds the that homemade compost produces.

xx
Increasing Seed Potatoes

Started by Plot94 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2021, 15:15
by Plot94
xx
increasing soil depth

Started by waddecar on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 23:57
by compostqueen
xx
Ever increasing Raspberry plants

Started by Allotment Jon on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 13:53
by JayG
xx
Composting

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 14, 2023, 20:52
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 47 queries.