Best/cheap seed company

• 35 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bets/cheap seed company
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 23:55 »
OH no  :( !!!
Im worried about midland seeds now i have seen these negative replys about them. Anybody got any good feedback about them now that i have parted with my cash??? lucky i paid with pay pal.

I'm not familiar with the company but I wouldn't worry too much for now.  I don't recall previous negative comments on here at all.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rainie

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 20:16 »
After reading this thread yesterday, this afternoon I have ordered my veg seeds from premier seeds online.  :) usually I go to wherever I am passing and it costs me a fortune. Today, Most packets were 99p, postage was 80p, the packets don't carry sowing instructions though but these can be seen online.
Am quite excited now. Cheers.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

Tea Break

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 13:11 »
Have ordered mine from seedparade this year, they arrived today with free postage :D :D. There are no planting instructions but i can always go on to site for the planting instructions, a great site as they do do heratige seeds and some of them go back a long time. so now must sit on hands for a few more weeks yet. most of these will be started in the pollytunnel.

Bored already just might have a go at some. Now where did the OH hide me wellies, coat and Kayak.lol.

Happy new year too you all Mike. ;)

Oscar the dog

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 16:37 »
This is the first time I have used Kings seeds (ordered via allotment association) even without the allotment discount the prices are very good compared with other companies and MORE IMPORTANTLY they came with very good recommendations from allotment holders on 40 years plus experience.

crh75

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 15:19 »
I used DT Brown this year for the first time.  Through our allotment association we got 50% off seeds and only £1 delivery so well worth it.
Previously I have used Garden Organic and Thompson & Morgan, both of which I would highly recommend but I don't think either would meet the OP's price criteria!

Christine

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 20:03 »
I have found D T Brown's seeds to be good. I like them.

rainie

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 21:07 »
My seed order from Premier Seeds have arrived.  :D. I think i may buy some for birthday presents for my  gardening friends and family.  :wub:

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 21:31 »
Did your seeds show up yet.

rainie

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 21:48 »
They came through the letterbox this morning.

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 22:07 »
Seed Parade for me, every time. The guy that runs it is a true gent and often gives freebies away, he also runs competitions with seedy prizes (win loads more seed when you win their longest, heaviest etc competition using their seed), etc, so I like to give them my business if I'm buying (though my stocks are pretty high at the moment!).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 22:13 by sowitgrowit »
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 06:26 »
Well they are all ordered  :D

I used http://www.midlandseedcompany.co.uk/ for the majority and picked up a few others that werent on there
from other places.

Glad yours arrived Rainie but i was wondering about these ones. X

BabbyAnn

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 06:28 »
Most seed suppliers are pretty good (never used Midland Seed company though, sorry)  If I was growing a lot of a particular crop, Moles Seeds, Seeds of Italy and Premier Seeds Direct have a good selection and sell in bulk, but for a wider and more unusual crops, I shop around on different sites and try to make use of free p&p on seeds if I can, but more usually I am looking for different varieties outside the norm.  So as well as those already mentioned, Mr Fothergills, Johnsons, Simpson Seeds, Plant World Seeds, Plants of Distinction, Tuckers, Unwins, Pennard Plants, Original Touch, The Organic Gardening Catalogue to name a few, are all fine.  When I come across a new seed supplier, I make a tentative purchase to see (1) they are selling viable seed as advertised (2) how quickly it turns up, and make a note for future purchases  ;)

I should mention that if seed doesn't perform, is it the seed or the environmental conditions at the time?  Last year I bought a load of squash seeds from different sites and nearly in tears when barely any made a show ... but it was such a long cold spring and when conditions improved, miraculously after several weeks when I'd given up, they all started to germinate.  Other reasons might include poor quality compost or too wet, so don't be too eager to dismiss a company just because a batch didn't do as well as you thought it should.  And don't forget that if you genuinely think it is the seed, you can make a complaint to the seed company - most of them buy seed from merchants, so it really could be a bad batch.

ally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 18:05 »
Has anyone used of moreveg?? Seem to have all I need with the exception of garlic & pots .... Just going to compare quantity of seeds per pack to my usual supplier simply seeds.
moreveg from 50p per pack plus £1.25 delivery ....
2 Books and No idea!!!  Learning as I go!

Mr Dog

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 18:42 »
Has anyone used of moreveg?? Seem to have all I need with the exception of garlic & pots .... Just going to compare quantity of seeds per pack to my usual supplier simply seeds.
moreveg from 50p per pack plus £1.25 delivery ....

I've used them a couple of times without any problems - quantity of seed in a pack is generally much less than other suppliers. 

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 20:50 »
I've used them too. I had one problem with the Big Jim chilli seeds which completely failed and they sent me something else with no quibbles at all. Really good customer service.  :)

xx
Which Seed Company?

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 24, 2014, 12:19
by adri123
xx
Annoyed with seed company

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 11:05
by prakash_mib
xx
An interesting seed company

Started by Ralphy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 22:52
by Kristen
xx
Cheap seed trays and seed offers

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 07:49
by lucywil

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 36 queries.