Chicken run advice please :)

• 6 Replies

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
« on: August 18, 2008, 00:56 »
Hi all :) After reading the posts on here and the friendly advice, I was hoping I might get some of my own advice :)

I'm planning on getting a couple of hens (probably ex battery hens as I hear they're still decent layers when they get rid of them and we llike the though of giving them a second chance) next spring and would like to get the run/coop ready over this autumn. I'm getting a coop big enough for 6 bantis so figure 2 normal sized hens should have plenty of room in there, but I was wondering what a decent sized run would be square footage wise. They'll probably spend most of the day in the run, though we work from home so if I'm in the garden tending the veggies I'll let them out for a wander - obviously I can't let them out full-time as apart from the fact that the veggie-patch would get eaten (I've heard that can happen?) we also get foxes out here so wouldn't like to temp fate.

Height-wise, I was thinking of around 4ft tall and making it covered to keep the chooks dry and prevent the ground turning to mud.

Also, are rats a problem to chooks? We get the ocassional ratty visitor after grain.

Sorry about the beginner questions - I just want to make sure everything's fine for them when they finally do arrive.

Thanks for any advice!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 22:04 »
You need to allow at least 1sq M/bird, My runs about 3 foot high, but I will be making it higher so I can walk in with the birds, make life a lot easier than trying to Limbo in chicken poo !  :lol:
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Nogger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 22:17 »
Richy i am having problems with my hens,they look disgusting;they are loosing all the feathers both underneath there buts and on top,one of them is actually bleeding,i have picked a couple of them up and examined them but i can't see anything on them,ya know red might and things,they say its malting but its been going on for a couple of months now,any ideas :roll:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 21:29 »
Quote from: "Nogger"
Richy i am having problems with my hens,they look disgusting;they are loosing all the feathers both underneath there buts and on top,one of them is actually bleeding,i have picked a couple of them up and examined them but i can't see anything on them,ya know red might and things,they say its malting but its been going on for a couple of months now,any ideas :roll:

Hi Nogger I suggest you post this as a new topic in the HEN HOUSE to get the max coverage you can, moulting usually starts at the neck I believe. But there's other thing that can cause feather loss and the bleeding certainly does not sound like moult.

But like I say please start a new thread there's some brilliant poultry keepers on here who know far more than I probably ever will do.

Include things like how old they are and what you feed them on that may help.

Richy

Foxy

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 22:41 »

Hi Nogger, sounds like your birds may be moulting, possibly some pecking as new pin feathers are full of blood and very attractive to chickens and when they have had a taste of blood it can be very diffcult to stop.Firstly can you see any evidence of new feathers? A couple of months isn't that unusual -6weeks is about average for a moult.
You could help them through by adding some vitamins like Poultry Boost or Battles Poultry drink. I supplement with a little kittten catfood as high in protein ( will help with new feather growth) a couple of times a week and also add a little "growers" to their layers pellets 1 part  growers to 2 parts layers, plus a teaspoon of cod liver oil once a week mixed into their mixed corn-thats just me though! :D
A good point about red mite as well -a  good way is to shine a torch around the henhouse -concentrate on the perches as thats were you will find red mite as they dont live on the birds.
Hope this helps -mine are moulting like mad at the moment and have feathers everywhere! :shock:  :lol:

Nogger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 23:20 »
richy,why is it that when i posted the new topic in the hen house as you adviced, i got the carrott and not the strawberry for new post  :?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 20:38 »
richy,why is it that when i posted the new topic in the hen house as you adviced, i got the carrott and not the strawberry for new post  :?

As I understand it you get a strawberry appear in "the hen house" when you look at the Forum index, but when you go into that forum your topic will have a carrot as there are no new posts after yours  :)

xx
a bit of chicken advice

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 10:28
by boosmummy
xx
New Chicken Advice

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 11:22
by Fisherman
xx
Help please chicken advice

Started by Terryheli on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 14:33
by Terryheli
xx
Not well chicken please advice

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 18:26
by mad chicken

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 38 queries.