poly tunnel

• 12 Replies

kitch

poly tunnel
« on: March 07, 2010, 11:04 »
HI Team
I don't get on here to chat so often but here goes, I've got my 12 ft by 20 ft poly tunnel up but a little undecied what to grow and when to start any ideas from any experts out there

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: poly tunnel
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 11:32 »
Hi Kitch,

I'm certainly no expert so perhaps I shouldn't be replying  :D, but this year is our polytunnel's first full season and we're going to grow tomatoes, peppers and chillis in it.

:)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

kitch

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:39 »
Last year the birds devoured my young peas so think i'am going to try my 7ft victor ones in it. just a case of trying stuff out i guess

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 11:45 »
(Morning Argyllie!  :))

If DD isn't already coughing and limping his way to his allotment I think he might have something to say about growing peas in a polytunnel!
(He might also be moving this thread to "Growing your own"!

I'm no expert either but a polytunnel is clearly most useful when used to grow things which need a longer growing season and/or more warmth than they would get outdoors.

I would add cucumbers to Argyllie's list and since it's a good size how about trying something exotic like melons?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 11:50 »
Correct.

Correct.

Correct.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

kitch

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 11:57 »
Thanks for the advise boys but tried everything last year to keep them there young starlings off my peas but to no avail so if this don't work my pea growing days could be over.
My mate at work says i've wasted my money on a poly tunnel think he's just jealous.
Bon Jour
Kitch

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 12:00 »
At what stage do they attack the peas?

We have a severe pigeon problem, but keep them off by netting when they are young shoots and again when the pods set.

And that's knocking on for 200 feet of peas I'm able to protect.

kitch

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 12:06 »
Hi DD
Last year got some early peas off but when them starlings fledged from the nest i kept trying to plant even in pots when i put them out them blighters still got through.
Bon Jour
Kitch

dogdave

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 12:13 »
Hi Kitch
You seem to have enough info re summer dont forget full use for winter crops
dogdave

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 15:06 »
I've grown melons, courgettes, peas, runner and broad beans, aubergines, carrots, potatoes, perpetual spinach, cabbages, lettuce and cauliflowers as well as my tomatoes, chillies and peppers in my polytunnel.  The only thing that I didn't do well with was melons, but that was probably my fault.  Courgettes didn't do as well as outside on top of my compost heap, and the potatoes (only put a few leftover seed potatoes in there) didn't have such a big crop, but all were scab free!  :D :D

rem858

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 15:37 »
i grew toms,cues,peppers, last year in my tunnel i also had a fantastic crop of early amsterdam forcing 2 carrots using a few pks of seed tapes i was given going to try the same this year as well as some different lettuces

Poolfield2

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 12:51 »
I live high up on an exposed plot and the polytunnel is a life saver. I grow eveything that "normal people" grow outside. My crops come 3 or 4 weeks earlier than outside and only in a good year (not the last 2 than ::)) can I grow decent courgettes outside.

The best for me is the strawberries, fantasti., I have 6 beds in there (no not the sleeping sort :nowink:) and I move everything on one bed each year. Once we have a garage I will be able to reclaim some area that are being used for staorage and I wil be able to double the number of beds.

Nothing beats working in there when the rain is hammering down outside and I know that there would be no gardening I could do if I didn't have the polytunnel :)

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 13:36 »
A polytunnel??

Grow chillies, red and green peppers, fruits of all sorts (esp oranges and lemons and strawberries.), cucumbers.

xx
poly tunnel

Started by Thompson24 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 13:41
by shay
xx
Poly tunnel

Started by carolie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2010, 21:47
by TheSpartacat
xx
poly tunnel

Started by carolie on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 15:56
by mumofstig
xx
poly tunnel help

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 20:19
by vegmandan

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.