small greenhouse question

• 14 Replies

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
small greenhouse question
« on: October 09, 2011, 20:18 »
Hi, I have a 6x4 greenhouse in my garden and was wondering about the borders, first of I was going to have gravel with some paving slabs on the floor and grow in containers, then got to thinking, how about 2 borders on both sides filled with a good compost mix to grow some spring onions, lettice, and say 2 tom plants.
The stagging could be removed in spring, well the shelves.
What are your views on this?
Reg and Pat
I'm lost without my SatNav.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: small greenhouse question
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 07:30 »
Personally I would always go for soil beds, and changing some of the soil every year, to keep things healthy.

Easy to water evenly imho  :D

and I have a slab path down the middle of mine, with a raised bed built all around to stop the soil from washing down when I water.

Werks fer me  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 10:39 »
I've got both of the above...slabs with soil borders held back with timbers and one all slabs that i use just for pots...im going to change the latter to soil beds as i think i get better results with the soil beds.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

tlm1965

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 10:52 »
Hi, i have got soil around the sides of my greenhouses. I sometimes grow lettuces or i grow pansy's to add colour and attract bees and butterflies, it all depends on how i feel at the time. :)

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 12:35 »
I have a 6 x4 greenhouse.  The door is on the 4ft side and this has been my first season with it.  I managed very well with slabs as a base and a gravel bit 4" wide down the middle for drainage etc.  I grew tomatoes, sweet peppers, chillies and a cucumber (as well as a couple of pots of basil and oregano) in florists buckets filled with mushroom compost and multi purp.  I had to empty it all yesterday  :( but estimate that we've had at least 15-20lb of tomatoes, over 20 long red chillies, countless cucumbers and half a dozen sweet peppers.  Needless to say, with all this in it, there wasn't a lot of room left for moving around with watering can!  I don't think I could have achieved all of this if I had to leave space to move around and dig borders etc.  Good luck.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 12:41 »
I also have both, one greenhouse with soil borders and the smaller one with weed suppressant and bark, but I prefer the soil bordered one.

Every year I remove some of the soil and replace in the autumn with a bit of new soil and loads of poultry manure

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 13:19 »
I prefer the soil border, just because it makes for more even watering  :)

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 20:42 »
Thank for all the reply's, I am going for borders, will use a good compost mixed with grit and chicken pellets.
So far i have put down a slab path and painted the stagging, just got to re assemble it all.
Can only do small bits at a time as am still recovering from my opperation and now have developed a frozen arm but am getting better slowly.
Reg...

brown thumb

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 08:48 »
even if you have soil right around the borders as i have (6x8) it gives you the opportunity to grow in pot at anytime but if it was slabed the choice to grow direct into soil would be gone that way it gives you the best of both choices

stompy

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 12:00 »
I have soil borders too.

If you can't get to the plot for any reason they will be ok for several days, where as if they're in pots the dry out very quickly.

Also you will need to feed more often due to the small amount of soil/compost in the pots.

You also have a larger surface to grow in if you have a border and can interplant between the plants like toms/cucumbers and mellons etc.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 12:12 »
I've been in my greenhouse today taking off hundreds of ripe toms to roast for sauce etc.  It's great in there as it's raining, cold and windy out  :)

Heading back there now after having a cuppa  :)

stompy

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 12:43 »
I've been in my greenhouse today taking off hundreds of ripe toms to roast for sauce etc.  It's great in there as it's raining, cold and windy out

I know exactly what you mean, listenning to the rain hammering on the glass an your warm and dry and just pottering.

I have harvested pounds and pounds of toms this season, a lot have been given to neighbours but most have been made into sauce.

I have never roasted them first though, i put them through the juicer and then reduce until it begins to thicken a little, then into sterilsed jars whilst still hot or cooled and frozen in usable batches.

donald.cape

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 08:07 »
Hi, I have a 8 x 6 greenhouse with a central path made from building blocks laid on their sides, on one side of the path there is soil that's changed each season in spring. This is where the winter greens and tomatoes go. The other side has gravel and removable staging and I grow stuff in pots there, chillis mini cucumbers etc as well as starting stuff off prior to hardening off in the cold frame before planting out, I'll be sowing sweet peas in November in the greenhouse. 

I have a small potting bench made from an old trolly table we had in the kitchen and I agree with Stompy about being nice and warm when it's chucking it down outside.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 08:15 by donald.cape »

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 19:01 »
Thank for all the replys.
Can you tell me about mini cucumbers, i have not cume across them?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 19:24 »
Mini cucumbers are a variety that grows only to about 5-6 ins max. There are a few, but the one I grew this year was mini munch (Unwins I think) and they were great.

The recent warm spell has rocketed them back into flower too  :D :D

xx
Greenhouse question

Started by Thephoenix572 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2013, 08:38
by DD.
xx
greenhouse question

Started by alan/gill on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2015, 07:55
by alan/gill
xx
Greenhouse on top of decking question...

Started by veggies on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2013, 20:26
by snowdrops
xx
Small heaters

Started by Bernard on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post July 31, 2015, 13:37
by Bernard

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 41 queries.