how has the moult treated you?

• 11 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
how has the moult treated you?
« on: October 07, 2011, 17:44 »
i'm not having any problems (i think/hope), i was just wondering if anyone else was dealing with this right now and what their experiences have been?

its been about 2/3 weeks now and mine are all looking abused and malnourished! well to the non-poultry person anyway....

finally have 4 back in lay but still waiting for the other 12 to catch up!

how about everyone else?

1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

Helenaj

Re: how has the moult treated you?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 18:12 »
Most of mine look as though they've been through a shredder - I've never seen so many bald bottoms and neck! I have enough feathers to make a duvet.

freebirdy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 10:28 »
Mine are oven ready! Think I need to get knitting and do some chicken cardigans before the really cold weather gets here. Poor Worzel (my cockerel) has no tail, no crest, no neck ruffle and looks as if a packet of paxo, oven temp 220  is the only way to go! Bless 'em. Natures great isn't it? Just when ya think they all look lovely, wham - feather garden, naked chooks and knitting needles at the ready!

hendreary

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 18:24 »
Mine have been moulting on and off for about four months, they are both looking bald around the head but nowhere else. The last few weeks they have laid about half their normal amount of eggs.
Geoff Davis. :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 02:43 »
Well I'm in the opposite season to most of you so no moulting here... but one of my Light Sussex pullets has decided to go broody, so there are feathers all through the nest box and she has a very naked tummy!  ??? 

I take advantage of her on our cold spring mornings and tuck my cold hands under her to warm up.  Then to show my appreciation I throw her out of her nice warm nest!  :ohmy:

ycholmes

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 13:12 »
My two Orpingtons have been moulting.  My blue - Molly has been moulting for some time and is now beginning to fill out with feathers now.  However, no eggs at all yet.  My Buff has been off lay for weeks now and has been moulting for about a fortnight.  It is so strange to see them so scrawny, especially as Orps are usually so big and fluffy.

SMS6

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 13:16 »
My Maran (cross probably) has not layed for nearly 2 months now - she was losing feathers like crazy but never really ended up with any bare patches  - she just looked scruffy and now she has a mass of new glossy feathers but she's till not laying and her comb is pale

I'm rather thinking she's done for this year but hope she lays again next.

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 08:55 »
my girls are looking alert but tired. and yes it looks like giant pillow fights have taken place.

one of my 2 orpingtons went broody and hasn't come back into lay in the last 2 months and the other, has now started laying again but they are either mostly soft shelled, tiny or once in a blue moon - huge.

the 4 jerseys and 4 brahmas haven't laid in about 5 weeks and are in various stages of defeathering and 4 of the hybrids are yet to come back into lay. my speckled sussex looks like a cheap duster!

the eggs are in such high demand that whatever is laid is sold within hours and we haven't eaten an egg in 2 months!

sheridan

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 20:43 »
I got my three hybrids at POL last September, they've all laid an egg a day ever since, haven't slowed down and don't seem to have lost any feathers, although I have noticed that the smaller feathers round their necks are brighter and more coppery and newer looking, so presumably they have lost some, but i'm blowed if I can find them!

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 21:16 »
What am I missing, my 4 arent moulting at all !!!

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 13:03 »
I have 2 girls from my existing flock who are both just over 3 years old now.  Blubell who is moulting and did so last year in all the snow  :blink: and Felicity who as far as I can recall has never moulted!!  :wacko:
Emma

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 13:22 »
this is my first year of a proper moult too.

the first year they didn't moult too much and i just put it down to the girls not coming into lay until late september. last year they all had partial moults from the stress of being moved back and forth after my father's death so this is all kind of new to me too :)

xx
Extra Protein During Moult

Started by JMF on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post December 21, 2010, 13:46
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 38 queries.