Is this a Coin Scam

• 7 Replies

mrs bouquet

Is this a Coin Scam
« on: January 21, 2023, 14:04 »
Yesterday, I received, in the post, a package which when I opened it, was a selection of coins connected to the Queen.   All beautifully presented.   BUT, I haven't ordered these.     There is no paperwork attached and the label says (in very small print)  Return Address:  Upfront Promotions Ltd,  The Orchards, Main Street, Mansfield.   I have tried to look them up, but only see a connection with California.
Is it OK to just put into postbox to the return address  ?     I don't need much to wind me up, but this has. :ohmy:    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Is this a Coin Scam
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 14:45 »
Was the parcel addressed to you?
If you want to return them, I'd do it via Post Office counter to make sure you have a receipt for their return.
But first check your bank a/c, credit card etc to make sure you aren't, somehow, being charged for them..
after all they got your details from somewhere, which is disturbing....

After thought - Would any family members have bought them for you as a surprise gift?

They seem to be sending them as a gift, to people who have signed up for the Mail on line service. https://www.mymail.co.uk/pages/commemorative-coin-collection
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 14:48 by mumofstig »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 17:04 »
You are quite right Mum, it is connected to the Daily Mail to which I subscribe.   However, reading the link, it says the price, but then goes on to say, but apply for a discount if you are a subscriber, and then it will just be £29.95.    I still don't want them,   But they are not free to my undestanding.    What shall I do now. ?  Mrs B

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 14:10 »
Yes, seems unscrupulous, whether it is a scam or not.

Send back at the post office counter, as Mum suggested, get a receipt.  Might want to see if you have the option of stopping future offers through the Daily Mail.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2023, 14:11 »
I'd stuff the package in the back of the drawer and forget all about it until 'they' come bleating.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Odders

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2023, 17:44 »
You can't be charged for an item you didn't order.
Contact them & ask for a prepaid mailing slip if you really want to return them, as collecting them is the sender's responsibility.
Me? I'd wait for them to contact me, then ask to be paid for the time spent returning them. :dry:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 16:18 »
Checking out some more stuff, I see that if you are sent something you didn't order.   It is considered a gift, and therefore by law you do not pay for it.    I have got a number now for Daily Mail Subs, if I feel up to it I may ring them tomorrow,  if not, I shall put them in a cupboard and wait.  Thanks guys,  Mrs Bouquet

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2023, 12:56 »
I couldn't be bothered to take them on.  Coins are now in a cupboard, and if they want to take me to Court, I'll see them there.   Makes a day out.   Mrs B

xx
Another scam

Started by chrissie B on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 25, 2020, 13:56
by chrissie B
xx
Another scam

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2021, 13:51
by mrs bouquet
xx
Another Scam

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post October 11, 2020, 18:40
by Elaine G
xx
Another scam going around.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post December 23, 2021, 12:40
by Christine

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 44 queries.