Tesco Clubcard Plus...

• 17 Replies

Growster...

Tesco Clubcard Plus...
« on: July 31, 2022, 06:14 »
Does anyone make anything out of this 'new' deal from Tesco? (Is it all that new)?

You pay £7.99 pm, but get 10% off two 'big' shops per month, and the maximum discount you'll get is on a £200.00 shop, which makes a cash-back of £40.00...

So a net discount of £32.00 per month is possible, and that could add up over a year couldn't it!

I've only just started doing this, so any views are welcome!

Goosegirl

Re: Tesco Clubcard Plus...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 09:33 »
Being in a rather cynical mood lately plus maths isn't my best subject and if I've understood it correctly, to get a cash-back of £40 you'd need to spend £400 per month in two £200 batches plus spending £7.99 per month for the privilege. Mmmm. Methinks it's a way of getting people to spend a lot more per month than they would normally. See what others think. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 10:31 »
As Goosegirl says, you need to spend £400 a month in 2 x £200 lots to get the maximum discount. We have Delivery Saver from Tesco which, for us, is a no brainer. The nearest "very large" Tesco is 15 miles away which has a vast range and all deliveries come from there. Even with 3 deliveries a month it only comes to between £150 and £180 a month in groceries, including cat food, toiletries etc. and the odd bottle of wine. You need a large family to make savings with Tesco Clubcard Plus.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 12:00 by Val H »
Val
Recipes Galore!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2022, 12:49 »
Just shopping for one, it doesn't work.    Tesco always gears towards large families.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2022, 21:14 »
I would rather look at what I was spending if I was spending £400 a month in one supermarket.
No doubt it could be beneficial to some but not for us.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 11:07 »
Over the last eight years, we've spent just over £200.00 pm at Tesco, (£203.73 to be exact - thank you Google Sheets...:0),  and it's more these days since I retired, so any saving per month of around £15.00 must surely be useful in our pockets rather than theirs?

That'd pay for the car insurance..:0~

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2022, 11:40 »
When you think about it £13 for a family per day isn't really that bad. My grocery bill is very similar to Mr G for just me and the dog,  I'm concerned John may be wasting away  :nowink:

It's far too risky to rely on "big" shops when half the stuff ordered is missing.  Over the years I've had delivery passes with snasbods,trashco and ocado the only one I saved any money on was ocado's and that's because their delivery charges are so expensive. I may look again if they send me an offer price ;) as I'd now prefer to order less more often and at least their stock levels are normally right.

Val H

• Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2022, 11:44 »
I'm assuming you do one very large shop once a month in store and top up more locally on perishables (milk etc) in between. Check what the exclusions are if this is the case. It wouldn't work for us as we don't have anywhere locally for top ups (at least not within walking distance), hence 3 home deliveries.

Val H

• Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2022, 12:00 »
Clubcard Plus is only available for in-store shopping as far as I am aware, not on home deliveries. We don't really have problems with Tesco deliveries. Today they have replaced the butter with a more expensive one but only charged for the original one so can't moan at that! I can assure you that John is not wasting away, we produce a lot of our own food and keep chickens.

Cat food for 6 cats costs more than we spend on ourselves. We do have other deliveries for that as well as Tesco. In fact we have most stuff delivered these days and usually avoid delivery charges by bulk buying.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 12:03 by Val H »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2022, 14:30 »
As there's only me and Mollycat, I tend to do a big shop in Tescos 1 month and then a smaller Iceland shop the next month, some fav foods from there at a reasonable price..
Iceland have, I think, a good frozen food range, but their household product range is very limited, so those items are always on the Tesco list.
The cat's favourite dry food I buy on-line in bulk, it's soo much cheaper that way, with free p&p!

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 18:41 »
One issue I'm looking at, is the cost of getting to our Tesco, even though it's just over a mie away.

It still irks me that I spend about 50p just on petrol to go there, so I try and shop as much as possible by bike, using the Growsterpannierframe in which I can even get more that I can physically lift! (I did that a couple of years ago, when we had lockdown and I did our lovely neighbour's shopping, and could hardly carry it round), so as I'm lucky enough to have the time and the energy to try and beat the supermarkets at their game, I guess I'll carry on!

We did take advantage of the recent 25% off six bottles of wine, which they do occasionally, but watch the terms and conditions on that - I've got to get to the bottom of what they actually mean there...

...But bottles clank a lot on the potholes, so it sometimes has to be the car, hence the 'big shop' issue!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 18:42 by Growster... »

Val H

• Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 19:03 »
I must admit I was envisaging you doing a £200 shop on your bike! Before lockdown I used to get coupons from Tesco offering me 10% discount (sometimes even more generous) on a £40 shop. These could only be used in store. Was used to such coupons not being valid on Tobacco products and, for some reason, Baby food, but they sneaked in that they couldn't be used against Alcohol. So you had get to £40 without, and any alcohol above £40 didn't count to the discount.

It's further for me to get to the Co-op in Penygroes (about 2 miles each way) than your Tesco and downhill (a very steep hill) all the way. I couldn't do all of my shopping there anyway. Coming back on a loaded bike would be fun!

Hence it is now deliveries, the delivery saver costs me £6.99 a month. The cost of fuel to get to the Tesco in Bangor and back would be at least £8 (more like £9) and I have 3 deliveries a month.

In your case it does look as if you could save a bit of money with Clubcard Plus, but beware the conditions.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 19:07 by Val H »

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 12:02 »
Well, six months after starting Clubcard Plus, we've managed to save just over £85.00, which is after paying the £7.99 p.m. fee, and which I think is worth the effort!

It has changed our shopping habits more than somewhat, in that we choose to stock up on stuff we really know we'll need at some stage, like loo roll, mince and chicken etc., dog food, (or her offal/cheap chicken and veg, which I cook up for her anyway), tins, butter, cheese, bread etc., and of course, we still make sure we only buy wine when the 25% off six bottles coincides with 'a big shop', so we get more savings that way, but as we usually make our own plonk, we just buy the sugar and cider for that! (Economists call all these purchases 'inelastic demand', which is about the only thing I can remember about economics from my college days)!

The sum also includes the usual December splurge, which we didn't actually use, as we both had streaming colds and cancelled the visits, so this month has been pretty sparse, as we have a mountain of cheese to get through and a ton of chicken etc...!

The luxuries we do leave out though, are visits to Andersons Butchers in Cranbrook, (plug plug!), where he does fabulous chops and home-made burgers, and also 'Korkers' sausages, which come from a farm shop nearby, and are the best around as far as Mrs Growster is concerned!

So, all in all, if we can keep doing this, we'll never save the maximum £40.00 a month, but it'll roughly pay for things like the house insurance, so maybe we're lucky to have the time to fiddle around with the buying lists and make the most of it while we can!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 12:35 »
As there's only me and Mollycat, I tend to do a big shop in Tescos 1 month and then a smaller Iceland shop the next month, some fav foods from there at a reasonable price..
Iceland have, I think, a good frozen food range, but their household product range is very limited, so those items are always on the Tesco list.
Tesco's prices seem to be rising  quite quickly, so I'm finding I'm spending less there and more in Iceland, nowadays. eg a tin of Branston beans is 90p in Tesco (only sold singly)  when Iceland sell the 4 pack for £2.50.
Tesco also used to price match  Aldi, but lately,  I haven't noticed this as much as I used to...

jaydig

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 19:13 »
I do a weekly shop at Asda, and log in through the Topcashback site.  This pays £2.55 back per order and this goes towards paying for my delivery pass plus a bit.  Any order over £40 qualifies and you can have more than one delivery per week if you like. 

xx
Tesco Clubcard

Started by grinling on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2020, 20:31
by Plot 6B
xx
Tesco Clubcard

Started by grinling on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post October 03, 2020, 17:49
by grinling
xx
Tesco charging twice

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2021, 12:09
by mrs bouquet
xx
Tesco Card Scheme

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post November 13, 2019, 20:44
by DD.

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 49 queries.