Growsterheightenerextension...

• 4 Replies

Growster...

Growsterheightenerextension...
« on: September 27, 2021, 17:42 »
As every Growster should do, I'm responding to Aunty's request (ever-so-nicely) for pics of the above equipment, which converts a normal saddle bag carrier to a pannier holder in a few easy steps...

The first pic shows the normal un-panniered rear end, with a new green (no other decent paint around), base, fixed permanently to the metal carrier.

The second pic is another view, so that chums here can see what sort of bike carrier the appendages are being attached to. The usual saddle bag has all sorts of stuff in the side pockets like spanners, security chain, maps etc., and always looks like a pair of old trousers...

Third pic shows the new frame (detachable), with the panniers already secured by their straps to the central top rail.

Fourth pic shows the panniers, in position, with Growsterwibbles (small green cleats, to hold the four legs in place under the plate) in place - to stop the whole shebang jumping up and crashing to the pavement when I go over one of Kent CC's drains which are designed to be 4" below the road surface...

Fifth pic shows the whole lot ready for a trip to Waitrose or Tesco, where secure bike racks are ready and waiting to be assailed by said contraption, with maybe a haircut at 'Ruffles', or a chat and a bottle of pills from the lovely ladies in the chemist opposite!

It drives quite well, and with the weight of the shopping being higher up than normal, the ride has something of an experience I used to get years ago, when I rode a Lambretta with a passenger on the back!

Seems to work, and saves us a couple of quid a week on petrol!

DSCN9243.jpg
DSCN9242.JPG
DSCN9243.JPG
DSCN9244.JPG
DSCN9245.JPG
DSCN9246.JPG

Goosegirl

Re: Growsterheightenerextension...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 14:21 »
Wow Growster, that is some construction and well done for your imagination, fortitude and skill. Would you like to come and work for me as we have similar ideas as to how to use ordinary things to make extraordinary but functional items that make life easier. The pay won't be much but I can make a mean moussaka!  :lol:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 20:55 »
That’s genius, Mr G  :D

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 05:53 »
Wow Growster, that is some construction and well done for your imagination, fortitude and skill. Would you like to come and work for me as we have similar ideas as to how to use ordinary things to make extraordinary but functional items that make life easier. The pay won't be much but I can make a mean moussaka!  :lol:

No problem, Goosey - just mention the eat-by date for the Moussaka, and I can plan ahead!

By my reckoning, the bike can do roughly 15 miles per charge (depending on hills et.), so as it's 310 miles to Chez-Goose, that means two charges a day (gets dark early), therefore it'll take me just over ten days to get to Caton!

Soooooo, allowing for Mrs Growster's strict instructions to ride carefully, if I leave on Sunday morning, I'll be with you by a week on Wednesday!

I'm off to design a tent which will fit into the panniers, and buy another Primus stove...!

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 06:03 »
That’s genius, Mr G  :D

Thank you Aunty!

You may know a few of the roads around here, but the main crossroads is a nightmare these days, so I use the lanes, and slow down the rat-runners in the process! The final sweep in on the Rye Road does wonders for keeping people down to the 40mph limit too!

The Growsterwibbles were included because of a particularly nasty hole in the road, just outside where the old Tudor House Hotel was, and the tennis club is opposite. Every time I went near that hole there was a bus or lorry trying to speed past, and I always had to go in one side and hopefully get out the other! The panniers would have got up to first-floor level on that particular stretch!

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 40 queries.