What happened to the humble Sandwich ?

• 109 Replies

Growster...

Re: What happened to the humble Sandwich ?
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2021, 07:53 »
Hope I'm not re-crashing this post, but you may like to know that since Aunty and others expounded the Bovril element of a sandwich, it's been a mug of Bovril early every morning for nearly three weeks, and absolutely no tea!

It's a great breakfast starter, and with just an apple or similar afterwards, lasts me to lunchtime!

What a result! I fear an addiction, and have to watch the salt content, but wow, what a great way to start the day!

Many thanks Folks!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2021, 09:10 »
I don't know why but we never drank Bovril, when I was small, it was always a dissolved OXO cube - but they do taste very salty nowadays, so I only use half a cube, when I get the urge for a savoury drink. The other thing I seem to have a run on atm is Leek & Potato CupaSoup  :nowink: but that needs a squirt of vinegar for perfect taste  :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2021, 10:15 »
Interesting that, Mum, because while there is quite a lot of salt in Bovril - and Marmite for that matter, there's a benefit of not getting cramp every night as well!

Our local chemist recommended a magnesium salt which does work, but while Bovril has a sodium salt, I just don't take the Mg ones!

Touch wood, it works, but so does a sock-full of old wine-bottle corks at the foot of the bed...

(True)!

GraciesGran

« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2021, 11:17 »
Tried the marmite and peanut butter combo at my sons.  Not for me although I like both individually.

Was given a cup of bovril at work the other day.  I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it. 

mrs bouquet

« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2021, 11:49 »
Used to drink both Bovril and Oxo, but now have to be on a very low salt diet. I only buy the reduced salt oxos and restrict using both Bovril and Oxo to stews, casseroles etc.  I often drink a hot cup of water.

Sandwiches  -  off to an afternoon tea event  -  so will let you know   ;)  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2021, 12:25 »
I'm just thinking of getting a jar of Bovril and some cup-a-soups so I can have a quick something foe elevenses.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2021, 12:27 »
It's a great breakfast starter, and with just an apple or similar afterwards, lasts me to lunchtime!
There's a lot to be said for the benefits of boiled down knobbly bits  :lol:

This week I've discovered that the need for something sweet can be cured by slapping nutella on a sandwich wrap (the round things I use to make burritos ) rolling and nuking it for 30 seconds. I suppose you could add a 'nanna if you wanted it to be healthy  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2021, 16:21 »
Love that, Larders!

I've just been to Tesco, and saw some prawns on offer, so popped them in the bag, and, getting home, noticed a box of cheese triangles, so it's a 'Prawn and soft cheese' tonight (see earlier post on delicacies in sarnis)!

Growster...

« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2021, 16:27 »
Slightly off topic, but years ago, I worked with a chap who'd been in the Royal Navy soon after WW2, and he told me that they used to drink oatmeal!

The idea was that you filled a kit-bag with the stuff, topped it all up with water, and hung it from the ceiling.

The water would slowly seep through the canvas of the kit-bag, and by evaporation, cooled the contents  down considerably, especially in the hot area below decks!

I've never tried it, but it sounds rather pleasant somehow!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2021, 17:28 »
Assuming that the kitbag had a fine enough weave, so that it worked like cheesecloth, that's just how you would make oatmilk, just like you can buy in the supermarkets at £2 a litre  ::)

Growster...

« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2021, 18:34 »
Assuming that the kitbag had a fine enough weave, so that it worked like cheesecloth, that's just how you would make oatmilk, just like you can buy in the supermarkets at £2 a litre  ::)

I think that's what he actually meant, Mum!

I like the cooling effect though, as we often shove all the washing up high in the conservatory to dry during the summer, and cools us down too!

Actually, I'd like to get one of those Victorian four-slat driers, which were hoisted up over the range, but Mrs Growster is mightily against that idea...

I didn't know you could actually buy the oatmilk though - must be quite nice with a shot of Vodka and a raisin or three..;0)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2021, 20:24 »

Actually, I'd like to get one of those Victorian four-slat driers, which were hoisted up over the range, but Mrs Growster is mightily against that idea...

Oop here in Yorkshire we call them 'creels' - they're pretty handy for drying clothes in winter and you can also claim to have done your daily exercise ration hoisting it up towards the ceiling!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2021, 20:43 »

Oop here in Yorkshire we call them 'creels' - they're pretty handy for drying clothes in winter and you can also claim to have done your daily exercise ration hoisting it up towards the ceiling!  :)

I have one, I know it as a Sheila Maid
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2021, 07:21 »
How to go from a beefy drink to a clothes airer in one page..;0)

Amazon say about £75.00 for one of those, Snows!

Now, if I could just attach the pulleys to the conservatory joists....

Growster...

« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2021, 07:29 »
Just to go completely off-topic, Larders, I watched 'The Full Monty' again the night before last, and it's still as fresh and poignant as it was when it first came out!

(So now it's a page from strong-beef to thong-grief)...

But I did watch it with a beef sandwich - phew...

xx
The not so humble woodlouse

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2021, 12:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Supermarket carrots, ever happened to you?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post June 05, 2023, 19:23
by hamstergbert
xx
What has happened to traditional Nativity Plays?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 15, 2018, 22:10
by andreadon
clip
amazing thing that happened last week

Started by al78 on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2021, 10:36
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 53 queries.