What happened to the humble Sandwich ?

• 109 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: What happened to the humble Sandwich ?
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2021, 16:08 »
fish finger sandwich  brilliant
Yesterday i had scampi chappati with a side salad that was good to  :)
Hmmm ...
Mrs Pea, I have to admit I remain suspicious when I hear about "fish finger" anything! I have the same suspicions about "chicken fingers"   ??? :unsure:.  I've never seen a fish with fingers before!  Nor chickens with fingers  :wacko: .  Where do such creatures come from?  Are they genetically-modified?  ???   

Don't get me started on "buffalo wings" ...  I've seen these at restaurants too, they seem too small to allow even a baby buffalo to fly anywhere! Let alone an adult buffalo.  Like fish fingers, I have never seen a buffalo with wings, so I strongly suspect that these wings are made from ERSATZ buffalo!   :ohmy:

In the meantime, for lunch I plan to have a sandwich at lunch made with a ground turkey patty, pepper cheese, a little sauteed red onion and mushroom on the top, with some romaine lettuce and home-grown tomato topping it all, served on seeded whole wheat bread.  Nothing fancy.

Whatever sandwich you are having next, enjoy it in good health and good humor!  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 16:10 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2021, 17:48 »
Lunch was sliced chicken breast in a pita bread with chopped salad and chilli mayonnaise - superb!!
 :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2021, 18:12 »
In the UK, SubP, the ''fish finger' was made popular around the fifties/sixties, and was an offshoot of the 'fishcake', with the former covered in crumby batter, and the latter mainly potato! It was probably similar to what you were served up...

In fact, only recently, for the first time too, I had some fish fingers which had been in the freezer for a long time, so stripped off the batter and chucked it, just to get at the fish 'finger'. It was tiny, but identifiable as a piece of fish and not mechanically formed, like chicken is dealt with, but the pile of batter was much bigger, so you're probably right that it is a bit of creativity somewhere, but which has made them so popular over here! Kids - and grown-ups usually love 'em!

Birds Eye are actually pretty good with their products here, and their frozen veg are usually superior to 'own-brands', (I suspect that sometimes they're the same thing, but lets not be churlish), and their branding with a bewhiskered naval bloke grinning into the camera has endured for ages! Marketing, eh?

I guess mechanically retrieved fish is probably very difficult as the tiny bones would get mashed as well - maybe they are, but with chicken, turkey etc, it's probably a bit easier...

Enjoy your sarni anyway!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2021, 21:49 »
Growster, I sort of figured the "fish fingers" were probably what are sold as "fish sticks" over here (thin rectangular planks of fish that are mostly breading; fried, and kids love them).

I was just poking a little fun at the marketing names we assign to such foods (tongue-in-cheek).

Growster...

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2021, 05:04 »
Ha ha ha - of course you're right!

Do you ever see Ainsley Harriott these days after 'marketing' made that rather embarrassing mistake?

But I still remember the hero sandwich from the Old Post Office as a yardstick for a week's supply of comestibles! Now that place was well-marketed...!

Growster...

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2021, 11:03 »
This to write a note of sincere thanks to Aunty, Lardman and others for reminding me of how fabulous Bovril is! We haven't bought any for ages - possibly ever since we were married nearly fifty years ago...

On pain of a disapproving look from Mrs Growster, I bought a jar the other day, and having some on the Dark, Rye Ryvita, is just fabulous for breakfast!

Marvellous start to the day!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 11:04 by Growster... »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2021, 15:53 »
and a good drink, when nothing else will do.  (Dunk your toast in and call it a sandwich !)  Mrs B
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2021, 04:25 »
NO MARMITE horriable stuff
I have to admit, Marmite (and the similar-sounding product from down under, Vegemite) have Americans confused.  But then again we have peanut butter; also confusing and strange/weird unless you've eaten it all your life.

Of the two 'mites, my research on the interwebs indicates both are yeast extract products, one is the consistency of motor oil and is banned in Denmark, while the other is more like axle grease and is banned in America. I can't offer an opinion, since I've never seen either one of them for sale here. So, enlighten me, what do people love, or hate, about Marmite?

The Marmite debate has crossed the pond (see photo, from the International section of our local Publix grocery store). At $10 for this little jar, I have not yet been tempted.
IMG_20210906_195758066.jpg

Growster...

« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2021, 06:48 »
That's what used to be the middle sized jar, Sub!

You can buy a very small jar, which is mainly for wimps, or citizens going on holiday (Mrs Growster does that), and there used to be one twice that size for normal, well-balanced people!

The plastic squeezy stuff has to be avoided, as it just runs out everywhere, and causes large dry-cleaning bills, and the nozzle needs a steam-clean every other day!

$10 seems a bit steep, considering the company which makes it is Unilever (they also make Bovril, in an identical sized jar), but I'd have hoped that such a large company could have at least spread its largesse further, and charged less to new arrivals on the comestible front!

Lardman

« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2021, 09:32 »
All things considered that 10USD isn't actually that bad, I can't image there much demand for it over the pond - being it tastes so foul  :lol: Don't they tax waste imports over there heavily too  ;) .

.... what's that nonsense mustard to the right? Someone send them an emergency crate of Colman's powder (not the premade stuff) over quickly, how else can you eat a roast beef sandwich ?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2021, 09:59 »
Pfft to the Marmite - I noticed the Jammie Dodgers  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: September 07, 2021, 11:14 »
The value for money aspect is going to depend heavily on the price of the Jammie Dodgers.  10 bucks may be a long term investment as you only need a very small amount of Marmite for it to go a long way.  It will last even longer if you decide you hate the stuff  :lol:

Jammie Dodgers will last about 10 seconds as unlike Marmite, I have never known any other opinion than 'those need to be eaten - right now!'  They are in reality nothing that special, just nice biscuits sandwiched with jam, but the UK has a deep and abiding love of them and I am sure Americans will fall under their spell at first bite   :D
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 11:15 by New shoot »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2021, 12:40 »
Now this what I call a sandwich! Triple decker ham and mayo with tomato, peppers and Dijon mustard.
IMG_20210907_123758.jpg

Goosegirl

« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2021, 14:09 »
Oh yes. I could do with one right now, but could I please have German mustard instead as I much prefer that to the other makes.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2021, 15:07 »
Sandwiches need to be built rather than made. They need careful consideration of amounts, spread of said comestibles, addition of less than anticipated condiments, and a perfect view of a 'bouncy' subject to be admired and cherished, preferably with a glass of a good Burgundy, or maybe a shriller Chianti, and the meal should be complete...

I reckon British Cheddar cheese is probably the basis of the best sandwich one could wish for!

I hope SubP can get Branston Pickle over there, as it's a staple for some evenings, otherwise it has to be lettuce, cucumber, tomato, salad cream and a sliver of cheese.

Other than that, a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato is the 'businessman's  lunch', and one needs a heavy red Bordeaux to go with it, to settle the nerves, and also help the digestion!!
images.jpg

xx
The not so humble woodlouse

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 15, 2021, 12:38
by Goosegirl
xx
Supermarket carrots, ever happened to you?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post June 05, 2023, 19:23
by hamstergbert
xx
What has happened to traditional Nativity Plays?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 15, 2018, 22:10
by andreadon
clip
amazing thing that happened last week

Started by al78 on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2021, 10:36
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 52 queries.