Too old for a cold shower !

• 21 Replies

snowdrops

Re: Too old for a cold shower !
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2021, 19:56 »
Yes & I’m dreading finding out what it will be!

Well I think I just found my number #3. The roofer has just sent over a quote - £10,500  :ohmy: , either they don't want the work or they're trying it on.

:ohmy:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2021, 14:19 »
Oh dear, I am sorry to hear that.  You must get 3 quotes.  I had the back roof done last summer and it was £6,000.  that included stripping down to rafters.   New breathable felt, tanalised battens etc.  So sorry to be the bearer of bad news.   The problem is that since Covid the prices of all materials has gone up so much.
Something that was £10 is now £20 in the building industry.    I have just has three quotes to remove the tile- hung side to my bungalow, so not much.   Tiles, £6,000.  Plastic cladding £2,600.  Sadly, I am not in a position to say leave it for a couple of years.  It is URGENT.   Good luck, but get more quotes and thoroughly question it.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2021, 16:04 »
I've another roofer coming tomorrow for a look - 10.5K is about double what it should be based on previous quotes (yes I wish Id had it done then). I'd already priced up the best I could and retail the materials were only 2.5K with scaffold /skip being unknowns. It's only a 2 day job for a 4 person team as it's a simple mid terrace, I was expecting the best part of 7K having factored in covid pricing. It's the same company doing next doors so I expected a better price if I had mine done at the same time, 1 set of skips and scaffolding hire, bulk buying tiles etc.

They just phoned chasing, don't think my comment about buckets being cheaper was well received.  :lol: I've asked for a break down rather than just a bottom right costs, that should allow me to see the material/labour split.

If the next quote is just as bad I'll be looking at patching mine I think just to last a year or so I don't really want to put out that sort of money in the current climate if I can avoid it. 

£6K for tiles Mrs B were they new clay ones that's a considerable price for faux clay - or you've got a huge bungalow  :nowink:

Goosegirl

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2021, 18:00 »
I'm so sorry but your posts and the way you wrote them have really made me chuckle big time as I know those experiences rather well! :lol: Buying a remote idyllic C18th (at least) detached cottage with 360 degree views and a large garden to boot would be someone's idea of heaven but we had so many bad experiences in the thirty-odd years we lived there that we've never looked back since we moved last year. After having it totally renovated both inside and out in two separate stages we thought all was well, er, no. We didn't reckon on our surface water drains that went into a nearby dyke to back-up three times during some torrential winter rains due to them not being properly maintained. Having been subjected to 4" water three times which was more than enough, que my first use for some of my full pension to pay to have the drains redirected across my garden, under the lane (with the council's permission) and into another dyke across the road that didn't flood. This went well until the chaps found that the manhole they'd put in for the new surface water drain by the extension we'd had made in 1992 was draining water via a leak from our cold water inlet (I told OH I'd heard the sound of running water in one corner of the extension but...) and unfortunately we found the builder's had built the extension over the cold water pipe so que my going into town for some wonga to pay the lads to put in a new pipe.
I'm not even going to mention the unexplained damp issues in the main bedroom nor some of the things, but  I so sympathise.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2021, 18:31 »
So that's not light at the end of the tunnel then ? just another hole which needs to be patched :lol: I don't even have the justification of a nice view  :nowink:

Second roofer couldn't even be bothered to do me a quote, looks like I'll be leaving it for another winter then.   Things may get a little cheaper when the post furlough splurge has ended and demand for the trades isn't so high.

snowdrops

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2021, 20:46 »
Oh dear Lards, I hope you don’t regret that decision, does your insurance not cover it?
Engineer came on Wednesday & after tinkering & ringing back later on he decided we need a new fridge freezer so today I’ve received an email telling me the one we have is unavailable & to choose from 2 others (that look the same to me!) so I’ve chosen 1 & hope I hear tomorrow when delivery will be :mellow:
Hubby fixed the roof we hope by taking 2rows of tiles off & putting in some rigid stuff he ordered online, we’ve got lots left as they sent double what he ordered ! I’ll let you know when it rains again lol it’s still wet or stained above the blind though  :ohmy:

al78

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2021, 22:31 »
don't get me started about combi boilers every time i went to have a shower got all ready not a stich on open the shower door got inside then bang hot turns to cold i really can't say what  I said at the time on this site and it kept happening lovely hot water when washing up then of to shower got inside the shower and hot water turns to cold  :mad:

Isn't that how showers are meant to work, oscillating from glacial meltwater to superheated volcanic steam?  :lol: :lol:

xx
Anyone had this rotten cold?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

20 Replies
Last post January 21, 2020, 12:45
by Goosegirl
xx
Very cold week to come

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post February 06, 2021, 13:49
by jezza
xx
Very cold toes.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post November 06, 2022, 10:19
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Freezing cold in the aisles...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post August 04, 2021, 07:00
by Growster...

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 43 queries.