BBQ - Paaahhh...

• 3 Replies

Growster...

BBQ - Paaahhh...
« on: June 16, 2021, 18:24 »
A Daught loves barbecuing and convinced Mrs Growster and I that we should start again...

I can't even find our (fold-up) BBQ, so bought a couple of the once-only chaps from Tesco and started as we used to do all this all those years ago...

I'd just like to say, that after the blasted thing just fizzled out after less than half an hour, and Mrs Growster had to rush inside to finish bits of it all in the oven, I've just taken the last of the ribs, wings and snags out of the oven..:0(

Where did I go wrong...?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: BBQ - Paaahhh...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 18:43 »
Those disposable BBQs do, in my experience, burn very fast and hot, but not for long.  You may not have done anything wrong!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Subversive_plot

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 00:31 »
There's a middle ground between the use-once grill (ok for hamburgers and similar fare) and the expensive ones costing a small fortune. To give the control for slow cooking ribs etc., you need to have a lid on the grill and be able to control air flow, top and bottom. It also is good to be able to have the grill area large enough to place charcoal on one side and food to slow cook on the other side.

Better quality charcoal helps.  Lump hardwood charcoal is good and gives great flavor. Also good are large briquettes.
Please stay safe!  Wear a mask, and observe social distancing!

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 07:35 »
Thanks both!

I can easily remember the flames getting a foot high, and squirting water all over the place, but this time it just didn't seem right!

During the 1987 hurricane, when we had no power, we used to set up one of those little Hibachi BBQs in the greenhouse, with a larger grill supported on bricks, and cooked out there! Now that really was a great way to cook!

So I've just bought one like it on Ebay - less than a tenner, and we can re-live having no electricity, lots of family chat, home-made wine in plastic glasses  and indigestion for three days...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 08:01 by Aunt Sally »

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 36 queries.