Brussels sprouts: how do I avoid failing the next time??

• 7 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
I know Brussels sprouts can be grown here (Georgia, USA), I have seen them from the road in people's winter gardens while driving on the highway.  I do have the problem of hot summers to contend with, and going with that an active insect season.

I planted seed in containers last year, in September if I recall correctly. September and October can be either cool or hot, I have experienced 38 C in October recently. From what I have read, maybe that is not early enough? Should I try starting seeds in mid-summer? Maybe try starting plants at 30 to 45 day intervals starting in July, see which ones do well, which do not?

From June through October, high temperatures 38 C or over are possible. In June, September and October, highs anywhere from 20 C to 30 or 35 C are more typical. Most of July and August, highs of 28 to 35 C are typical.  We are frost-free May through September, frost is very rare in April and October.

The plants I did grow looked healthy. They grew fast, 2+ feet in diameter and 2 feet tall but then bolted. They only "sprouts" produced were mere leafy Tufts, not fit to eat. I provided compost with extra calcium and fertilizer, I don't think that's the problem. I've read about providing brassicas with boron as a micronutrient, but have not tried that yet.

Sorry for the long post, but I would like to try again, thought it would be good to tell you what I tried the first time around.

Any suggestions appreciated.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

jezza

Re: Brussels sprouts: how do I avoid failing the next time??
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 09:17 »
Hello what variety of Brussel sprouts did you grow ad there is one that grows with leafy sprouts ,try sowing at a lower temperature 36c is nearly 100Farhenheit ,have you considered a drip fed computer controlled system it puts the water at the roots preventing evaporation,try less fertiliser make them work for food by getting their roots down into the soil ,when the leaves look pale give them food   jezza

lettice

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 10:03 »
Living on the South Coast, we are a warmer part of the country throughout the year.
Never had any problems growing sprouts over the years.
I plant my Sprouts out in May that were sown in April.
It is important to really firm the ground when transplanting.
They must not get dry, they do seem to drink water heavily in their first few months. I water them a few times a week during the Summer months.

I'm not sure they are that fussy about the soil itself, but some goodness obviously helps. I in April, cover the ground in a little homemade compost, but do not dig it, so keeping it as compact as possible. The worms would have pulled most of the compost down by May.
I use a dibber to make a hole and pop the plant in. Spacing a good 18 inches in all direction apart.
I do add a small amount of fish/blood/bone or general fertiliser in mid August and then leave them alone until picking from November to February.
If there are gales in the Autumn, I do put a small temporary windbreak around each of the stalks of bamboo poles and mesh, just so they do not bend over too much.

Have tried a few times over the years planting some out in mid to late June and they just do not produce Sprouts (well just pea size ones), just making sprout tops. Seems they need the extra months to get them going.

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 10:55 »
Hi S_p,

A few thoughts that may help...

As biennials, the plants are expecting to grow in the first Summer (warm), overwinter (cold), and flower and set seed in the second summer (warm). So if your weather is giving them strong warm-cold-warm again cycles in the Autumn, that could be triggering the blowing. as the plants think they've reached that second summer. If you can give them some protection from those early cold spells, until Winter properly arrives, that might help.

As bolting is your main problem, I'd choose whatever variety you can find that has the best bolt-resistance, and the modern F1 varieties will all have been bred with that as a consideration.

Finally, they do need firm ground, so don't add any compost at all in the year of planting. Put them in a bed that had compost last year. When you plant them out give them a very good firming-in with your heel right up to the stem, as hard as you like.  (Think of their wild ancestors clinging to some stony, chalk clifftop with thin soil!). If the soil/plants are too loose, that can give wind-rock which can also trigger blowing. Top-dress around them with garden lime.

Sprouts can suffer all sorts of problems unfortunately; if you have cabbage root flies where you are then it's definitely worth looking-up home-made plant collars to protect from those in your second season.

Hope that's useful,

G&R

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 13:26 »
Hello what variety of Brussel sprouts did you grow ad there is one that grows with leafy sprouts ,try sowing at a lower temperature 36c is nearly 100Farhenheit ,have you considered a drip fed computer controlled system it puts the water at the roots preventing evaporation,try less fertiliser make them work for food by getting their roots down into the soil ,when the leaves look pale give them food   jezza

Hi Jezza. Thank you for your reply .

The variety is Catskill.  Based on the package photo, the sprouts seem to form tight heads when grown properly. 

I have no doubt that a computer-controlled drip would more precisely deliver water, but I'm trying to stay on a low-tech gardening budget  :lol:. I want to try again, and will, but if I had to rely on a high tech watering system, I might just leave raising sprouts to the farmers  :D.

I will take your fertilizer suggestion to heart, and build on that.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 13:39 »
Living on the South Coast, we are a warmer part of the country throughout the year.
Never had any problems growing sprouts over the years.
I plant my Sprouts out in May that were sown in April.
It is important to really firm the ground when transplanting.
They must not get dry, they do seem to drink water heavily in their first few months. I water them a few times a week during the Summer months.

I'm not sure they are that fussy about the soil itself, but some goodness obviously helps. I in April, cover the ground in a little homemade compost, but do not dig it, so keeping it as compact as possible. The worms would have pulled most of the compost down by May.
I use a dibber to make a hole and pop the plant in. Spacing a good 18 inches in all direction apart.
I do add a small amount of fish/blood/bone or general fertiliser in mid August and then leave them alone until picking from November to February.
If there are gales in the Autumn, I do put a small temporary windbreak around each of the stalks of bamboo poles and mesh, just so they do not bend over too much.

Have tried a few times over the years planting some out in mid to late June and they just do not produce Sprouts (well just pea size ones), just making sprout tops. Seems they need the extra months to get them going.

Thank you Lettice

From your post, I may have just planted way too late.  I will try planting some now, but in the future, will aim for growing much earlier.  For my area, the packet says plant February-March and July-August! The packet also says 85-110 days to harvest which seems highly optimistic.

Supporting them is a good idea, since we get strong winds in spring and summer storms.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 13:49 »
G&R

Thank you, many good suggestions in your post!  Yes, something is making my sprouts think they are annuals.

Catskill does not advertise bolt-resistance, that could be the problem.

I likely will need to do a bit more thinking before I get this all sorted out. I will file these suggestions away, maybe I will get the problem sorted out this year or next through try and try again.

jezza

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 19:35 »
Hello it's an old ex commercial variety developed in 1941 for the USA conditions SOE at 70 degrees Fahrenheit should germinate in 10 -21 days    jezza

xx
Brussels sprouts

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2013, 18:58
by moose
cheesy
brussels sprouts

Started by lincolnlad on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 20:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
the brussels sprouts

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 19, 2020, 07:26
by DHM
xx
brussels sprouts

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2021, 16:17
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 43 queries.