Potting compost

• 5 Replies

dugless

Potting compost
« on: May 19, 2020, 19:51 »
Due to the lockdown, I had two large bags of potting compost delivered but I am having poor germination.
Is it allowed for someone to tell me a good quality one?
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Hampshire Hog

Re: Potting compost
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 22:40 »
At the moment I think the best compost is one you can lay your hands on.
I wonder though if JI No 1 would give you better results for seed sowing/germination??
Keep digging

Asherweef

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 07:50 »
Perhaps check the seeds on some damp kitchen roll to make sure it isn’t them? We have success with any old soil.

jezza

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 16:05 »
Hello you need a seed compost for seed sowing a potting compost is slightly to rich in nutrients for seed sowing a John Innes seed compost is ideal or if you can get  a good quality topsoil try making your own mix depending on the quantity needed this is the mix I use to make at a market garden 1 ton of fine top soil 1ton of fine peat  large bag of perlite mix together ,for potting compost add 1/2 ton of horticultural grit 6oz phostrogen to hundredweight of compost 2oz of lime to hundred weight omit lime for ericaceos plants use 2oz of sulphur if available ,adjust weights to what you need  jezza

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 17:45 »
I've never bothered with seed sowing compost, considering that , naturally seeds would grow on whatever soil they landed on, rich or poor  :lol:
If you can only get/have already, a course textured compost - you may be better off sieving the top layer, sowing the seeds onto that and then sieving a fine layer over the top, so the seed doesn't get swamped.

As a last resort sieve some garden soil and sterilise it in the microwave for a minute or so :)

jambop

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 18:03 »

Jezza I wish I had the materials and equipment to prepare your mix ! I have no doubt that making your own would be of great benefit . Good compost down here is very expensive... €18 for a 70L bag but it is usually good gear. I have been buying what they term horticultural grade down here for about €2.45 for 40L now it is fine when you dig it into your garden soil but there is a lot of wood chips in it. I can get as much cow byre manure as I want for free so what I am thinking is to somehow mix the compost with the farmyard manure 50/50 and spread it on my raised beds because I think this would hold moisture better. I find the copmpost dries out very quickly in the sun. Of course I make my own compost but because I use kitchen trimmings and stuff from the garden it is not all ready to use at one time . What I need is a huge tumble drier to mix the stuff in :lol:

xx
which potting compost ?

Started by lanky lurcher on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 08, 2007, 13:54
by DD.
xx
potting compost.

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 04, 2021, 15:18
by samuria
xx
Potting on with my own compost

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 13:30
by Aunt Sally
xx
Potting Compost Recipes!

Started by Sparkyweb on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 04, 2021, 09:32
by coldandwindy

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 43 queries.