Weather forecasts

• 7 Replies

Florablunder

Weather forecasts
« on: May 19, 2020, 18:24 »
Got caught out last week by the frost, potatoes and dahlias nipped, though nothing too serious and the plants will recover I think. But it does make me wonder about the best source for weather forecasts - I usually use the met office website, which was forecasting nothing lower than 5 degrees last week in our area - I thought that meant we wouldn't get a frost, but clearly I was wrong.
I'd be interested to hear what weather forecasting sites other folks find particularly good for gardeners.

Longshanks

Re: Weather forecasts
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 18:49 »
I use netweather.

If dahlias get frostified and look real dead, are they really dead or will they come back next year?

Eugene

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 19:52 »
Oooo good thread. I use Met Office too but have found it a bit hit and miss. I have a great app for rain forecasting (Rain Alert) which is pretty good. Frosts though, I'm with you.

al78

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 00:47 »
Note the deterministic forecast is the most likely outcome, and there is uncertainty around the forecast, so 5C means the actual coule be a bit lower or a bit higher. Note also that the forecast temperature refers to screen temperature, that is, the temperature in a Stephenson screen which is 1.5m above the ground. The ground minimum temperature will be lower on a clear still night. Also note that the temperatures you see on weather maps usually refer to towns and cities. Rural areas will be a degree or three lower. My potatoes got damaged by frost during the last cold spell even though the Met Office forecast minimum was 4C; my allotment is on the outer edge of town, and lies between fields and housing estates, so the minimum there likely got lower than the urban areas.

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 08:29 »
I use met office, bbc, accuweather and what aol says, I then pick the one I like the best and go with that
I am wrong most of the time though :lol:

Florablunder

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 10:52 »
Thanks Al78 - that's useful to know. My plot is only a 10 min walk from where I live (in suburban London), but I have noticed that it gets much more affected by frost than my garden - presumably because it is a big open space (it gets quite exposed to the wind as well as it is like a tunnel between the housing estates).
Sounds like it might be wise to take the official forecast with a small pinch of salt, and add a larger dose of personal experience. Or, if you are a newbie, check to see if the old hands have got the fleece out!  :nowink:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 11:46 »
I use met office, and have to say I find it pretty accurate.  But I have to use common sense, because the forecast is for Worthing-on-sea !.   I am about 4 miles inland on top of the Downs.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

al78

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 12:13 »
I use met office, and have to say I find it pretty accurate.  But I have to use common sense, because the forecast is for Worthing-on-sea !.   I am about 4 miles inland on top of the Downs.    Mrs Bouquet

Location Worthing, four miles inland on top of the Downs. Do you live in or around Findon?

xx
Weather forecasts

Started by vikingraider on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post July 08, 2023, 17:06
by DanielCoffey
xx
Understanding Sea Weather Forecasts

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post October 12, 2018, 17:51
by hamstergbert
xx
What was your weather like

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post December 04, 2019, 11:06
by Goosegirl
xx
This beautiful weather

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post May 30, 2023, 17:53
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 42 queries.