Want to move house? Think again!

• 10 Replies

Goosegirl

Want to move house? Think again!
« on: May 01, 2020, 11:32 »
OMG! Forget Covid 19 as we can't move at the moment anyway but it's all the very involved paperwork that does one's head in! Apart from the usual legalese to-and-fro communications, then after the usual survey plus another that was more in depth, more info was required by our buyer's solicitors relating to our old cottage as to where the drains for our septic tank, surface water and the overhead electricity supply are located. We used a plan of our land, drew in where they were with different coloured inks, sent it off, and today our buyer's solicitors are still asking for more info including rights of easement. I agree that there are times one needs an outside wee behind the shed on one's own land but I don't think that's what it meant!  :lol:
Our hopefully new home also had two surveys because a little bit of damp was found on the chimney breast which I'm not surprised at because it's been unoccupied for 6 months and we've just had a very wet winter to boot. Having printed out all the docs in today's email from our sols and, after a lot of scratching our heads, he's going to ring us back this pm. Tell you what, he's been very good to us and can't fault him whatsoever.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

Re: Want to move house? Think again!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 11:37 »
House selling/buying is major stress.    Good luck,   regards  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 14:46 »
Hang in there Goosey - you'll win soon!

It took a daught months of anguish to get her place, but it does eventually happen, when the solicitors have absolutely nothing to query in the end...

As for surveys, they're just a pain, and yet another way for nonentities to get fees for doing very little!

'Illegitimi non carborundum' is the right way to look at the whole issue...

Fingers crossed for a result!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 15:02 »
could be the new septic tank law, if it currently drains into a ditch or anywhere not on your property, it might be a problem as the new buyers would need to make sure that it drains on your land only.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 12:28 »
Nice one Growster, and if I get any more queries from their sols re- did this cottage have an outside loo and what did it drain into, what was the name of the person who renovated it in the 1700's and do you perchance happen to have his mobile phone number so we can add it to our bundle of records?  :lol: The septic tank was installed sometime in the 60's before we moved in which drained onto our land and into the dyke next to us. We got flooded three times in the past due to the dyke not being properly maintained to cope with the tank and our surface water drainage. I spent some of my hard-earned pension money on having the drains moved into a dyke that went under our lane and into a dry ditch and we've never been flooded again.
The current regs for those in place before this new law came in are rather vague, but our buyers have stated in writing they're going to replace the tank when they move in.
At the moment I just want to support you all in these very strange times, so my tonight's dinner will be baked beans, maybe pots or chips, with the left-over quiche my OH wants me to use up. Deepjoy to you all!

GraciesGran

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 14:18 »
After last year I'm never moving again.  Despite what husband thinks I'm staying put, all i need is a new bathroom and some reliable electrics and I'll be happy to see out my days (lots of them l hope) here.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 14:46 »
"The current regs for those in place before this new law came in are rather vague, but our buyers have stated in writing they're going to replace the tank when they move in."

Good for them, it takes ages to get some sort of response from the autocrats, and they've said 'Just do it!' Bless them! It's not an enormous amount of money to replace the kit - even if necessary, and on the cost of a new home, is just minimal!

Goferit Gal!

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 14:50 »
After last year I'm never moving again.  Despite what husband thinks I'm staying put, all i need is a new bathroom and some reliable electrics and I'll be happy to see out my days (lots of them l hope) here.

I'd like a new shower - eventually, Gran. I put the last one in several years ago, and decided afterwards, that that was the last big scheme I'd do on my own - hang the cost!

I'd rather give up all sorts of stuff, than put my back out, worry about the pressure, tile the whole village, and other dross, and then go and pay someone to do it for us in a just day or so...

Mind you, there would be hospital bills as JRT would have his leg off within the hour...

grinling

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 23:16 »
If they replace the tank then the new buyers will also have to a pipe network which is on the land the house is on only. Supposed to be a circular one. You can see where one soakaway pipe is in the garden as the grass is lush  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 11:51 »
We've given the buyer's solicitors a detailed plan in colour of all the drains including the septic tank and the surface water ones. These are on our land but they drain into a dyke across the road. As we had written permission from our local council to do this I can't see why there's all this faffing-about.

jezza

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 22:00 »
Hello an easement is a one off payment between you and the utility companies that might have right of access onto your land ,example if theres an electric pole with a transformer on it that needs maintainence if there's no written agreement but there's a pole on your land then that's a way leave that the utility companies pay you rent for  jezza

xx
How to move house?

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2020, 21:02
by Growster...
xx
I am going to move ....

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2020, 12:04
by Goosegirl
xx
Bat in the house

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2019, 15:36
by RubyRed
xx
Moving house.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post September 04, 2019, 15:34
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 47 queries.