DAB aerial earphones...

• 8 Replies

Growster...

DAB aerial earphones...
« on: January 10, 2020, 06:45 »
Mrs Growster gave me a small DAB wireless with earphones which act as an aerial as well. The reception can be patchy here, but is pretty good most of the time.

But, the on/off switch is just tiny for Growsterfingers, and I wondered if by just taking the aerial out, and not using it, I can leave it switched on all the time.

It is rechargeable via USB.

Any ideas?

mrs bouquet

Re: DAB aerial earphones...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 11:05 »
I don't know, but this is my idea, take them out and try  :D   Necessity being the mother of invention and all that !!!  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 14:00 »
Just as a caveat, have you removed the reindeer antlers that were attached to said earphones/ If so your reception might be even better if you replaced them!  :tongue2:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 21:14 »
I'll try all that, girls, but forget the antlers, there are too many off-shoots at my time of life..;0)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 13:21 »
If you keep it permanently on charge, you will probably shorten the life of the battery somewhat (and if it's a lithium battery it's odds-on it will be very difficult to replace) - if you don't, the battery might be flat the next time you want to use the radio.

Perhaps the best solution is to find a suitable tool to enable you to operate the on-off switch more easily (perhaps a cocktail stick, large matchstick - there must be something in that tin box in the shed?)
You could potentially attach your tool to the radio with sticky backed velcro so it's always handy.

(Aunt Sally - I refuse to be held responsible for any wisecracks resulting from the previous sentence!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 14:21 »
JayG. We don't seem to have received anything from AS re- the last part of your post so you have left it wide open for certain people who are so up for it that they're trying to compose something that the Mods will allow. We may be some time but may I make a comment on the use of various suggested tools that may assist him in his current predicament.
1) When attaching Velcro please be very careful where it's positioned on said tool, because if you get it in the wrong place and have to remove it, not only will you'll ruin the man-kini wax make-over Mrs G bought you for Christmas but it'll need some 3-in-one oil to bring it back to its previous working condition.
2) I often find the end of a biro or pencil is sufficient to insert into whatever device button refuses to work. Hard graphite pencils are the best but don't sharpen them beforehand or the residue will find its way into said switch. If you errantly decide to turn it on the carbon will ignite and give you the best fireworks you've ever seen for free.
3) I have no idea which radio station he likes to tune into nowadays but there must be something out there in the outer stratosphere that his new equipment may discover in the fullness of time.
4) Growster, stop faffing about, get your dinner then worry about it in the morning!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 17:20 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 06:41 »
Ha ha ha!

It is indeed a fascinating little bit of kit, and apparently, you can 'pair' it with another bit of kit, like an Ipad! I agree about the battery, Jay, and dire warnings spring to mind about re-charging Li batteries, but that's done from a USB on the PC, and I don't do it every day! (AS, no disrespect again)!

As for progs to listen to, there are 29 on the screen at the moment, and the aerial needs a bit of adjustment now and then, which is difficult in the dark, but when it's working well, the sound is great, with some very good stereo! R5Live (Up all night) is the prog of choice while Dotun is on, the others aren't as good as him, but a couple of the ladies are great interviewers! They do have some silly bits however, and the way they screech and yell about football gives me the creeps...

Velcro is out, GG, because it's too noisy! I think you can buy some with a lower decibel rating, but maybe a short length of Gorilla tape may be the answer! I could stick a screwdriver to the side, and while away the night time putting up some shelves, or maybe assembling an Ikea Spadenbleedebluednersesson...

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 12:35 »
Growster, would it be of any help if I suggested you turned the light on in whatever room you're in so you can see where you're going whilst trying to get the best reception for your new piece of kit? I and other friends would hate it if you tripped over something unseen when balancing on one leg with your arm waving in the air. Why not try GG's new invention comprising of a wire coat-hanger and compass which you then hang onto a battery-operated revolving fan that is securely fixed into your ceiling. NB, please use a special rawl plug and not Apegum or Mrs G will have a helluva time explaining  it to A&E. Attach a piece of string from said device to one of your slippers then sit down and relax with a tincture or several, possibly a mix of orange and vodka a.k.a. a screwdriver! Adjustments can be made if necessary by either moving your legs up and down (good exercise potential there as well) or wrapping a bit of aluminium foil in various places until all becomes clear. If all this fails get your ears de-waxed! 

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 44 queries.