Films I still haven't seen...

• 9 Replies

Growster...

Films I still haven't seen...
« on: January 10, 2020, 05:53 »
After the usual dreary Christmas offering of old, 'B' list flicks, my collection of old favourites that I have never watched in their entirety, still lingers on the quivering remote control of the TV set in 'The Turrets'!

I've never seen 'My Fair Lady', 'The Sound of Music' (all of it at the same sitting), 'Oklahoma' and 'South Pacific'!

Admittedly, some of these may have been on, (I gave up looking at the lists after about Boxing Day), but we don't really care much about gawping at a load of yelling 'actors', screeching away at 10:00am, I mean, there's the fire to do, washing to load up etc., and also JRT needs a walk as well!

It used to be great to sit down with the children, and relive 'The Jungle Book', but as they're slightly (much) older now, that's a bit of a no-no these days!

And 'The Great Escape' wasn't on this year - I think I did look out for that classic!

Any others...?

mrs bouquet

Re: Films I still haven't seen...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 11:13 »
I too an totally fed-up with animated, sci-fi, etc etc.   I did see the Great Escape on tv recently, it must have escaped you.    Other favourites include, Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines, and Around the World in Eighty Days.    I can watch the start, have a sleep at half-time and wake up for the end, and it doesn't matter, because I know what I have missed.  :lol:   Oklahoma and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, more favourites, but South Pacific - oh no.    Play catch-up and enjoy.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 13:57 »
I wanted to see The Great Escape too and some of the others mentioned by yourself and MB. :( I suppose they're trying to cater for the "hunger generation" but it sure was a very poor film selection over the festive season. Usually the best films are shown in the New Year but not this time.  :mad: :mad: :mad:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 20:28 »
I think they were doing a Steve Mcqueen programme, because I also watched the Thomas Crown Affair, and the Magnificent Seven.   Mrs B

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 21:11 »
Nice ones, Ladies!

Would you believe that we actually bought 'Seven Brides' recently, because there's a scene where a huge fight literally brings the house down, and we wanted to see that again!

We also bought 'The Pyjama Game', but gave up after a few minutes, so it'll go to the cheriddee shop very soon!

Just watched 'Philomena' again though, and it was even better than before... Judy Dench and Steve Coogan were so good in that amazing story!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 11:28 »
There is another good scene in Seven Brides ……. when all the Brothers are in a very long and complicated dance routine.   Such an excellent film  :)  I'm not sure if I remember the Pyjama Game, is that the one with Doris Day ?  Like you, I obviously didn't enjoy it much either, or I'd remember.    :nowink:  Mrs B

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 17:23 »
I love the Oklahoma! film and had a great time watching it over the holidays.  I have now seen Frozen, after it too was also on, and can converse semi-intelligently with my niece now. 

I remember seeing 7B for 7B as a stage musical probably 30+ years ago; there were straw boater hats if memory serves right.  But haven't seen the film - didn't realise it was on.

I've never seen Star Wars  :ohmy:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 17:25 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 17:40 »
I'll confess to having seen the whole of Sound of Music many times and have also seen Oklahoma, South Pacific and My Fair Lady more than once. Best of all for a good weepy is Carousel - I love that film. I don't think John has ever watched any of the above all the way through! I've never managed to get through Seven Brides for Seven Brothers though.
Val
Recipes Galore!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 06:26 »
Yorkie, Frozen is a must for everyone with kids needing a TV fix! (I still haven't watched it all yet, though)!

They did give me 'Minions' and the two later ones, and I'll be on the case soon...

'Star Wars' is fabulous, as are the three-hundred sequels!

'Pyjama game' is indeed with Doris Day, Mrs B!

As for 'Carousel', Val, that is one marvellous classic! I just love it all; the music is stunning, but I don't even watch football! (Everyone knows that Rodgers and Hammerstein pinched the song from Gerry Marsden...)!

Perhaps instead of a 'seed swap', we should do a 'DVD exchange'! :0-

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 11:30 »
Minions is on ITV at 3.45 today, I have recorded it as I have never seen it.   Also have recorded Oceans Eleven, seen that, but it is a better alternative than last nights TV.     Carousel, is not a favourite, to weepy for me, but some of the music is good.   Mrs Bouquet

xx
Best combinations of films.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2019, 07:07
by DanielCoffey
xx
Pandemic films to watch

Started by Longshanks on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post March 19, 2021, 10:28
by basketcase

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 47 queries.