Fraying Silk Ribbon

• 3 Replies

mrs bouquet

Fraying Silk Ribbon
« on: June 06, 2019, 14:36 »
Couldn't see how to get this on to Are you Crafty - so here goes.

I have a long silk scarf (for evening wear, with ball-gown) .  It has silk ribbons embroidered the length of it, which finish at each end in 10 inch long ribbons.   They are narrow and look similar to those found inside a jumper to stop it falling off the hanger.   But they are silk.   I have noticed that they are starting to fray, and the fray is catching into others.
I have a selection of glues for my crafts, but somebody suggested fray glue, because it doesn't go hard.  I don't want them to catch the scarf or my dress.
Can you recommend this product or something else that I can do.  There are probably 100 ends on each end   :ohmy:   Somebody said clear nail varnish, but surely this will go hard ?    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

Re: Fraying Silk Ribbon
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 17:06 »
I’d certainly stay clear of nail varnish as you say it will go hard, I’ve not heard of spray glue, have you googled it? Are there any good sewing shops/haberdashery type places near you? You can buy silk ribbons cos I’ve got some!
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 19:25 »
A few places have got Fray Glue, I tried nail varnish this afternoon, no good and it marked the ribbon a different colour.     So I have decided to throw the whole thing, including the dress which needs shortening, into the hands of a very good seamstress I have used before.    Her work is excellent, so if she can't sort the wrap ……., thanks for your reply.    Mrs Bouquet  PS: there aren't 100 on each side, there are 120  :ohmy: :ohmy:

grinling

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 21:00 »
Fray glue can also mark silk

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.