How to see news one really wants...

• 21 Replies

Growster...

How to see news one really wants...
« on: November 14, 2018, 20:21 »
Like many people, we hardly ever get a dead tree newspaper, unless there's a freebie going in Waitrose.

We always get our news online, starting with The Telegraph headlines (free), then resorting to The Express, and finally The Mail, which takes ages to load, as they have those silly videos on bottom right, and slow down the action so much, we tend to sigh,  switch off, and go and read a good book or do a Sudoku...

I sometimes read Breitbart, and Fox News, as they sum up reality more than the others, but any other sites, like the BBC really don't do much for us so we don't bother to read them.

What I'd like to see is a site where I can choose the subjects, and not have them all spooned down as if I need to know the slebby drivel.

Is there a way to stop any stories about Harry and Meghan, Charles and Camilla etc, and where a good filter just takes this sort of stuff out of the way, so I can read what I want?

Answers on an email please, to Angrygrowster..;0)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 20:22 by Growster... »

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: How to see news one really wants...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 21:14 »
Alas not really these days, unless you want to go down the non-mainstream sites, but journalistic integrity tends to be on ropey ground in those spaces it has to be said. Personally I go between the Beeb and Sky as that strikes a healthy balance I find.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 08:44 »
If I were able to filter out all news items which were distressing, apparently endless, about celeb culture, or inaccurately reported, I'd be back browsing chat.allotment-garden.org before I'd even started!  :wub:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 09:08 »
If I were able to filter out all news items which were distressing, apparently endless, about celeb culture, or inaccurately reported, I'd be back browsing chat.allotment-garden.org before I'd even started!  :wub:

That just about sums up 'news' feeds.

I've just about given up with main stream media as I have no interest in celeb/royal culture and the 3 stories on constant repeat on BBC news 24 is just annoying.

It's not exactly impartial but https://order-order.com/ is always worth a look.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 11:48 »
Interesting - because I am just considering getting my D Mail on line.  I currently pay Monday thru Saturday, £7.20, which includes delivery for 1 week.   I flick through, but enjoy Fred Basset, the crossword, readers letter, and then use the paper for prepping veg and salad, and some on the floor for walking boots etc.  I think I would still buy a cheap TV guide.
I can get it on my laptop and I-pad, for £9.50 pBouqueter month.
  I am fed-up with the paper bill, but not certain, any advice and thoughts will be most welcome,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 12:33 »
Mail on line site is terrible tbh and takes ages to load with loads of click-bait about 'celebs' down one side and articles pop up all over the place, even with 'pop-ups blocked and adblocker on my PC.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 12:38 »
Mail on line site is terrible tbh and takes ages to load with loads of click-bait about 'celebs' down one side and articles pop up all over the place, even with 'pop-ups blocked and adblocker on my PC.

It really is a very scuzzy site! I have  script and tracking blockers on my browser and the amount of nasties that site has on there is up there with the worst of them!

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 14:56 »
It really is a very scuzzy site! I have  script and tracking blockers on my browser and the amount of nasties that site has on there is up there with the worst of them!

It's appalling - but I've not seen any nasties, just undesirables and it's what's to be expected for a free site on todays internet.   The off the shelf adblockers take care of the worse, custom scripts the rest.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 15:48 »
Thanks, perhaps I won't go there then. :ohmy:   Can you suggest somewhere on line I can use without this difficulty.   Mrs Bouquet

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 16:56 »

It's appalling - but I've not seen any nasties, just undesirables and it's what's to be expected for a free site on todays internet.   The off the shelf adblockers take care of the worse, custom scripts the rest.

Yep, but to clarify, I didn't mean nasties as in malware or the like, purely tracking cookies and the like.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 06:34 »
I usually read Order-order, as it is right up to the minute news, and also a few other favourites, unconnected with the online press, but Kent papers are the worst for delays, pop-up ads, and general weak reporting in my opinion!

Funnily enough, in T.Wells area, there's a free newspaper which isn't half bad and covers just about anything locally and nationally!

I usually clear out cookies with a weekly burst of CCleaner, but haven't tried ad-blockers yet!

Of course, at the moment, the press is in turmoil, so presumably that means even more ads, but luckily fewer 'slebs' etc!

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 08:32 »
I usually clear out cookies with a weekly burst of CCleaner, but haven't tried ad-blockers yet!

How on earth do you use the internet without one ?!

Honest Growster go and install something like adblock or ublock origin neither are perfect but will greatly improve your browsing experience.

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 08:34 »
only buy one newspaper that's focused on local news that's more than depressing most times with the local councils making even more community cuts have a couple of garden mags pere month

as for the TV news its the same old dribble every night the only good thing about that is I'm usually having my tea in the other room when that's on and a cup of something when the ten oclock news is on  although i usuall get  free newspaper from Waitrose to light the fire with

madcat

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 22:33 »
One of the joys of retiring was not to have to start the day with a thorough skim of the the Telegraph (for the right wing), Guardian (ditto left ish), FT (obvs), BBC and the Daily Mail online, so by the time I hit the office I had a good idea what the Press dept would be hyperventilating about.  Now I just do the Guardian and Independent .. with a headline notification on the BBC.  Enough!  Oh and the Washington Post or the NY Times ....  ::)  Remind me that I am retired ...   ::) ::) ::)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2018, 08:07 »
The 'local' press is absolutely dire, with low-life 'stories', reasons why the roads are shut and nonsense from whatever council is mucking things up!

The Mail has a change in policy and has now reached down to the level of a monthly rag of dross, so its just the Telegraph for the headlines, The Express if I have the time, ignore the BBC entirely and probably look overseas for an unbiased view!

Grumpy?

Me?

xx
Some sad news from GG .. BUT!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

35 Replies
Last post November 10, 2022, 12:06
by snowdrops
xx
some very sad news

Started by Aidy on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post May 14, 2021, 07:52
by AndyRVTR
xx
GB News...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post June 14, 2021, 08:48
by Growster...
xx
Sad News re Dabhand

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post March 13, 2019, 20:32
by wapello

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 52 queries.