mobile phone coverage

• 15 Replies

LILLILEAF

mobile phone coverage
« on: April 22, 2018, 08:58 »
Hi Everyone
 I have just bought my first smart phone,i want to do sim only deal,but living on Anglesey coverage is very limited,what they say on the different sites for their coverage is way off to what you get,any one else having trouble like me?
 I have not signed to any thing yet,who do i go with its all very confusing :ohmy:what do i do???.Lillileaf

rowbow

Re: mobile phone coverage
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 09:04 »
Go to the pub or club and ask others?  8)

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2018, 09:30 »
I have trouble here (I didn't until they put a transmitter at the end of the road !  :mad:

The online maps are getting better but still aren't good enough to pick a provider on. The best thing you can do is get a few PAYG sim cards from the providers and try them. Most can be ordered online just for giving them your details.  There aren't actually that many signal providers as they sell their services to other phone providers, for example IIRK Virgin, Tesco and EE all use the same network.

For what it's worth, I ended up running the phone over the wifi in the house it's more reliable.

madcat

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 10:23 »

That is pretty much what I did - I went into the village shop on a Saturday, when it is staffed by youngsters and asked what worked.  I was sure that the teenage grapevine would have figured out the best network and phone combination.  And 17 yr olds are so rarely asked for advice by oldies that they couldnt have been more helpful.   :)

(PS the answer was Virgin or 3, because they were both on a mast at the fire station.  Voda and O2 = rubbish, EE expensive.  Then we got into the Samsung vs Apple debate ..  :ohmy:)
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 18:16 »
There is no mobile signal at home but I have broadband.
Using Three and Three in Touch (app) I can use mobile at home.

I would suspect other providers have ways to do this as well

LILLILEAF

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 05:51 »
Thanks for the help,i will go to the local shop and ask lots of questions,but going to the pub, i don't drink and i don't know where the pub is : :lol:,the local shop is not run by youngsters put oldies like me :lol:.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 07:51 »
Good idea to ask the locals (even some oldies have mobile phones!)

Making mobile phone calls over Wifi is possible but not something you can assume will be available - your mobile phone provider needs to actually provide the service, and you also need to have a compatible smartphone.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 10:03 »

That is pretty much what I did - I went into the village shop on a Saturday, when it is staffed by youngsters and asked what worked.  I was sure that the teenage grapevine would have figured out the best network and phone combination.  And 17 yr olds are so rarely asked for advice by oldies that they couldnt have been more helpful.   :)

(PS the answer was Virgin or 3, because they were both on a mast at the fire station.  Voda and O2 = rubbish, EE expensive.  Then we got into the Samsung vs Apple debate ..  :ohmy:)
Sometimes paying a bit extra can get you a better countrywide  coverage . The good signal from the mast on the fire station may be less good 50 miles away !

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 15:11 »
Anglesey sounds like the sort of place I would like to live . The more 'out of range '  or 'no signal' the better. My mobile is rarely used , if someone wants me ,they will have to come and find me  and if they don't , then it can't be that important. 

Here's hoping for the day when mass panic breaks out when the 'communications' system breaks down and people have to look where they're going and actually speak to some one face to face.

There are occasions when the 'mobile' is useful which is probably about 10% , the remaining 90% is questionable.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

jaydig

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 17:11 »
I'm just like you, TenHens.  My mobile is always switched off, much to my older son's annoyance.  I tell him the phone is for my convenience, and emergencies only - everything else can wait. 

grinling

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 23:01 »
Ours depend on where you are in the house. Upstairs and back garden is 2 bars, which is good (tesco, EE, asda)
Found tesco would not work in france!!.
I do pay as you go and use messenger at home free wifi. Daughter Skypes her friends (free). Hubby uses free BT wifi hotspots as well as normal data use, I have data turned off.
Some allow you to try before full commitment

LILLILEAF

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 05:52 »
I am not a big user of the mobile phone i only use about £20 per year,but our broadband is unbearably slow to stop a speed of 0.02mbps,and this is fast fibre what a joke,we went back to bt a few weeks ago,because we were with AB internet they went bust,that company was line of sight bouncing off another dish in another area,we got 10mbps and it was half the price of bt.
Going back to the mobile,i have it because we loose the land line conection alot so need some form of communication in case we have a problem of some sort,also going to work if i get a flat or the car breaks down,you never know.i know i will be able to ring and get some help.
My last phone i had it for 10yrs i only paid £10,its been a good phone.Lillileaf

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 08:53 »
Sounds like PAYG would be the most cost effective way to go for you Lillileaf, but you still need to try to find out which mobile phone company is likely to provide the best coverage where you are before you sign up.

madcat

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2018, 09:28 »
......because we were with AB internet they went bust,that company was line of sight bouncing off another dish in another area,we got 10mbps and it was half the price of bt.

Didn't you get transfered to Quickline with the sale of the business before AB went bust?  Sad to say, there isnt much hope in the near future for you with BT

grinling

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 17:34 »
opensignal.com/networks

Website recommended by which.

My area is weak!!!

xx
Mobile phone question

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post November 22, 2019, 08:43
by mumofstig
xx
Replacing my mobile phone

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post June 12, 2022, 20:34
by jezza
xx
Mobile phone or Ipad

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post June 05, 2021, 14:31
by Growster...
xx
This mobile phone stuff ggrrh !

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post November 09, 2021, 15:28
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 51 queries.